none
Disappointment in Microsoft Yet Again

General discussion

• I was a Windows user for years; I loved my PC even when I had Widows Millennium. It had some bugs but I still liked the ease of using it. Another family member had 2000 and I could Fix or update items with ease.

I eventually upgrade to Windows XP and was blown away by the interface and the ease of use in updating and working with my apps and other items.

Then it happened, Service pack 2 came out. I could not wait I just new that MS was going to increase functionality and some bells and whistles so I jump in: with no life preserver, no land in site and barely new how to swim thinking the operating system would just take CARE of itself. 

Then all things started to go wrong. To make a long story short I became an Apple user and have had a Mac for about 5 years.

I am a web developer and I need to test my work on all platforms but to avoid having to work with MS Windows I utilized items like Browser Stack and other Browser testing software.

Then I began looking at the reviews on Windows 8, they were great and I decided to pick up a Windows 8 PC. I got the Gateway All-in-one. It was beautiful I contacted my brother a fellow Mac user and told him how awesome Windows 8 was and that he needed to pick up a machine and just try it, he is considering this now.

BUT I WILL TELL HIM DONT DO IT NOW

THE NEW WINDOWS 8.1 ONE CAME OUT AND ONCE AGAIN I JUMPED IN WITHOUT A LIFE PRESERVER AND NO LAND IN SITE, BIG MISTAKE.

MY WINDOWS MACHINE IS NOW ALL MESSED UP, FIRST I HAD NO SOUND AND HAD TO UPDATE A DRIVER. NOW THE MACHINE RUNS SO SLOW AND HAS SO MANY BUGS THAT I DREAD TO EVEN TURN IT ON.

THE WORST PART IS THEY DID NOT LEAVE AN OPTION TO RETURTN TO THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS 8. ITS LIKE SOMEONE TIED BRICKS TO MY FEET AND NOW I JUST SINKING WITH NO WAY TO GET BACK TO THE SURFACE (PUN INTENDED).

MICROSOFT WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!! YOU HAVE THE FUNDS, THE PERSONEL, THE EQUIPMENT AND THE RESOURCES TO BE THE BEST PC COMPANY IN THE BUSINESS AND YOU CONTINUE TO SEND OUT, UNTESTED PRODUCT. 

IF JUST ONE OF YOUR TECHS WOULD HAVE DOWNLOADED AND TESTED THE 8.1 UPDATE YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICED ALL THE BUGS AND CORRECTED IT BEFORE YOU LAUNCHED IT.

SAME OLD MICROSOFT, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. YEAH YOU’RE PRETTY ON THE OUTSIDE BUT YOU STILL WORK UNDER THE SAME FRAMEWORK. SENDING OUT PRODUCTS BEFORE AMPLE TESTING IS COMPLETED.

YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS RIGHT... CREATE AN UPDATE THAT WILL ALLOW THOSE WHO WANT TO RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS 8 CAN DO SO. TO NOT INCLUDE THIS OPTION IN 2014 WAS JUST LAZY AND THAT’S THE ONLY WAY IT CAN BE SUMMED UP.

VERY!!, VERY!!, VERY!!, VERY!! DISAPPOINTED.

ILL BE RETURNING TO MY MAC NOW AND BROWSER TESTING WITH SOFTWARE AND RECOMMENDING TO OTHERS THAT THEY AVOID MS WINDOWS IF POSSIBLE. 

• Edited by gleeren Saturday, September 20, 2014 4:19 PM spelling
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 4:17 PM

All replies

• Did you never suspect that perhaps the problems arose because of your own actions?

Service Pack 2 for XP was a MAJOR improvement in security and also in the interface - many people had problems at that time because their machines were already infested with malware.

If you are a Dev - then you seem to have missed two major upgrades - Vista and Windows 7.

Windows 8 was directed squarely at mobile devices (much to my personal dislike) - but as a Dev, you should at least attempted to make changes early - Windows 8 came out over two years ago, and it seems that you are only now complaining. Which planet are you on?

Windows does at least attempt to support earlier iterations - unlike Mac.

Get real.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 5:35 PM
  • I have one question I wish Microsoft would answer.  How could so many smart people who designed windows 8 and 8.1 be so stupid? Mircrosoft should hire some ordinary, ( NON computer) intelligent people with "COMMON SENSE',  just to stand around, watch and tell those people WHEN they are about too embarked down the road of stupidity !  I would fire them all, then find the person who hired them and fire him as well !
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Unfortunately, they already do that, at least in theory. They are called 'Focus Groups', I believe.

There was a massive shift in focus between Windows 7 and Windows 8 - and MS elected to follow the path of the 'new/average' user (my term) rather than the person with some/much experience with Windows on a PC. Presumably this was in accord with their desire to offer a real platform for computers while also catering also for the new generation of users who only access Facebook/Twitter/etc and their online email accounts. 8.1 is a huge improvement over 8.0 for us 'techies/nerds/savvy people' - and hopefully Windows 10 will be everything it could/should be, now that they realised they got the balance wrong in the first place.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:53 PM