Moving to MS CRM as a functional consultant from mainframe. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all , I have nearly 5 years of IT experience . All my career i have worked as an application developer in mainframe environment. I want switch to MS CRM as functional consultant. I would want your advice on how feasible this is . Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rinin.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:44 AM

All replies

• Kind of a broad question, and would need some more or your background to fully answer this question, but I can tell you what I know about working in CRM.

I came from a MS-SQL analyst and development background before starting to use CRM about 5 years ago.  If you understand Sales, Marketing, and Customer Support processes, that's a good start since that's the space that Dynamics CRM plays in.  

As far as an application developer, you will need to know/learn Javascript to customize the CRM forms, and C# to build any back end plugins (think triggers), or custom workflow steps.  Much of the database level stuff is insulated in a point and click UI where you customize the CRM entities, so you don't have to learn much about that part, but understanding data relationships is key to architecting a good CRM deployment.

There are a LOT of great web resources to answer questions about how to accomplish specific tasks in CRM, and the community is robust.   Many of the Microsoft MVP's that work with CRM every day as consultants and developers have twitter feeds and blogs that they regularly update, and many of them answer questions here in these forums.

It's totally feasible given enough time and effort, and there is a lot of growing demand for good CRM development resources.  Good luck!

Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:39 PM