Onecare on a wireless network RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I have 2 PCs, a workstation running Windows XP and a laptop running Vista business. I ahd them on a wired network at my house where everything ran fine, but I am now at school and need to use a wireless network for my internet access. Both can get on the internet now, but backup on my laptop to the centralized storage on the PC is not working on the wireless network (I guess by design?).

So I tried to set up a CAT5 network (just with a little hub) where I could plug in the laptop overnight, and there I hit my real issue - once the wired network is live, the PC stops using the wired connection for internet until I disable the network connection and reboot. Is it possible to set this up so that I can just plug my laptop in overnight for the backup, without stopping my PCs from getting to the internet (via the wireless connection)?

Thanks!

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:02 PM

All replies

• No, that's a function of Windows Networking. If you have two active networks, Windows assumes that the wired network is better and uses it instead of the wireless one. The reboot should not be required, though. Once you disable a connection, the other should come onto play and work.

On the other hand, the Centralized backup should work over wireless as long as both computers are on the same network and both computers have the network identified as "Home or work" for File and Printer Sharing purposes. The problem that I see is that both connections are active and OneCare has an issue with two active network connections and will make both of them "Public" - effectively locking down the file and printer sharing features in a private network.

Can you simply disable the wireless connection before running the backup via the wired connection and then enable it again after the backup has completed and you've unplugged the CAT5 connection from both?

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:21 PM