what happen to database when we create N:N or 1:N or N:1? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

what happen to database when we create N:1 or 1:N or N:N ? Can anyone please help me on regarding?

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:05 PM

Answers

• Basically from what I understand... 

N:1

On the N side a GUID field is created in the Extension table for the entity (for customized relationaships), as well as name lookups in the view that references the other side of the relationship. Base and Extension tables are joined in the entity views.  

1:N

Same as the above but in reverse

N:N

An intermediary table is created, and GUID fields are created on both sides of the relationship. 

Thanks! Josh Ash

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hello SenthilKumar,

I'm not 100% sure what you are looking for here but I'll give it a shot. What you are referring to are the relationships created between entities.

N:1 is a many to one relationship. Similar to when you use look up. Like many opportunities can only have 1 source campaign.

1:N is a one to many relationship. For example 1 Account can have many opportunities. Common found when you use sub grids.

N:N is a many to many relationship. Many cases can have many articles. So a case can have many articles providing a solution. And vise verse. That article providing a solution can work for many cases.

I hope this helps.

-Trevor

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I wanna know what are new things created in CRM database(SQL). For example, If we create custom entity in CRM, Table and View will be created in SQL database, want to know same thing while creating the relationship. Once again thanks for your reply.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Basically from what I understand... 

N:1

On the N side a GUID field is created in the Extension table for the entity (for customized relationaships), as well as name lookups in the view that references the other side of the relationship. Base and Extension tables are joined in the entity views.  

1:N

Same as the above but in reverse

N:N

An intermediary table is created, and GUID fields are created on both sides of the relationship. 

Thanks! Josh Ash

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:39 AM