CRM 3.0: Could not Import ANY Customized Entities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're currently using CRM 3.0 and is looking to move our CRM server to a brand new server and in addition to upgrade it to CRM 4.0. Our SQL server stays the same.

I was advised to install CRM 3.0 on that new server first, redeploy CRM and connect to existing database, then upgrade it to CRM 4.0.

Here in a test server, I'm trying to import customizations from our CRM 3.0 production system. For some reason, for any customized entities (with added custom fields, scripts, etc), I always get this error message:

"This attribute map is invalid. The selected attributes should be of the same type. The length of the source attribute and the formats should match. The target attribute should not be used in another mapping."

I wonder if this is because there are a lot of custom fields that aren't yet created in the new server. I tried importing to just one entity, but I still get this message.

Do we really need to re-create all the fields to import the customization? This would be not practical at all for us as we have created a lot of new fields.

Can anyone help me on this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Elizabeth K.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• It might be that you are having some problems with mappings.

Some relationships like originatinglead between lead and account have mappings. So when you covert a lead to an account. Some fields on the lead get copied over to the account. It might be that you have deleted some of the fields that are already included in some mappings on the existing system and CRM is failing to create the mappings on the new system.

The best thing to do would be to run a trace while you do the import on the new system using the CRM Diag tool for CRM 3.0. The trace file should tell you the attribute that the import is failing on.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Wael, thank you for your response.

I'm sure we never deleted any fields, especially if it's needed in the mappings. Just wondering if we need to re-create all the fields to import the customization.

I'll try running the CRM Diag tool next time I'm importing this customization. Currently we're still building a new set of test 'domain' that's completely separate from our production. I'll let you know the outcome.

Any other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

-Elizabeth K.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Goodluck with that.

Doing a CRM trace is the best thing to do then if you will get errors.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:06 PM