Deploy Headnode onto in place SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I'd be interested in gaining some insight into the installation processes surrounding the database component of HPC Server. I've consistently found when installing onto an existing local SQL Server installation, which is running under the credentials of a domain service account, that the install process alters NTFS permissions on folders configured to house database files. This then breaks SQL Server as the service does not then have access to it's own database files. This behaviour is also apparent when installing HPC Pack SP1 in similar environments.
    Although it's possible to work around this issue I'd appreciate some background info as to what is really going on here, and if possible why permissions are changed when the SQL Express HPC Pack component is not required.
    Thanks very much
    Dan

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting us know about this, and sorry for the delay getting back to you again. Our developers have looked at the issue more closely, and what you're seeing is a result of HPC Server not supporting a non-HA configuration where SQL Server is running under a domain service account. i.e. In a non-HA configuration, HPC Server setup makes the assumption that the SQL Server service account is System. Consequently, HPC Server setup removes the user account from the directories. We're looking at how to improve our Setup in future to handle this better.

Regards,

Patrick
    • Marked as answer by DanAdams Monday, January 11, 2010 2:04 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your permissions. Are you are installing the HPC Server headnode in an HA (High Availablility) configuration or as a stand-alone machine?

Regards,

Patrick
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hello Patrick
    I see this behaviour in both HA and non HA configurations, but only when running the pre installed SQL instance under the credentials of a domain account. As I say it's an issue which can be worked around, but I thought I'd raise it here just in case you guys wanted to check it out.
    Cheers
    Dan
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting us know about this, and sorry for the delay getting back to you again. Our developers have looked at the issue more closely, and what you're seeing is a result of HPC Server not supporting a non-HA configuration where SQL Server is running under a domain service account. i.e. In a non-HA configuration, HPC Server setup makes the assumption that the SQL Server service account is System. Consequently, HPC Server setup removes the user account from the directories. We're looking at how to improve our Setup in future to handle this better.

Regards,

Patrick
    • Marked as answer by DanAdams Monday, January 11, 2010 2:04 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Hi Patrick
    Thanks very much for the update, ties up with my experiences. The only thing I'd say is that even with HA configurations the SP1 update doesn't play nicely and resets permissions.
    One of the things I'm looking forward to in R2 is the ability to use a remote SQL server for the cluster DBs, which I guess will make this issue redundant.
    Thanks again
    Dan 
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:47 AM