Adding an external drive with data on it? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to back up my current server to an external USB 2.0 Drive before I install WHS. What will happen once I install WHS and plug that external drive into the WHS box? Will it see the external drive and allow me to copy the info onto the server or will it try to format the drive and add it to the collective?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:00 PM

Answers

• It will not format until you select to add it to the pool.  It will show as a regular drive and will have time t copy the contents to whs.  I've done it this way to move large amount of files.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:08 PM

All replies

• It will not format until you select to add it to the pool.  It will show as a regular drive and will have time t copy the contents to whs.  I've done it this way to move large amount of files.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:08 PM
  • ***IMPORTANT***
    If you do copy files to the server through this method, you still want to make sure and copy files to the UNC path \\server\share instead of D:\.

This will ensure that your files get copied in the format that WHS likes, and that DEMigrator (the new WHS drive technology) functions as expected.  But yes, this should work fine...
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:26 PM