No Server 2008 R2 Cumulative updates since December. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Update on my WHS 2011 system offered me the Malicious Software Removal Tool today and last month, so Windows Update is doing something, but I haven't been offered any Windows Server 2008 R2 or .Net Framework updates since December.

Are others seeing this too?

Thanks,

FB

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:14 AM

Answers

• I discovered the problem.  See "Known issues in this update" in this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074598/windows-7-update-kb4074598

Because I do not have AV installed on my WHS 2011 system this key is not present.  As soon as I set the key manually and clicked "Check for updates" the updates I expected appeared in Windows Update.

As a follow up, what AV are people using with WHS 2011?  (Preferably something free.)

Regards,

FB

P.S. This implies that ANY system that does not have AV installed will not get updates that require this key to be present!
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, we can check and find released update for WS 2008 R2 via webpage(the list on the left bar) “Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 update history”:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469

If there is no update released for your system since December, please try to re-name/delete SoftwareDistribution folder. Open CMD and type below commands:
    net stop wuauserv
    Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    net start wuauserv

Then, check update again and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:34 AM
  • I discovered the problem.  See "Known issues in this update" in this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074598/windows-7-update-kb4074598

Because I do not have AV installed on my WHS 2011 system this key is not present.  As soon as I set the key manually and clicked "Check for updates" the updates I expected appeared in Windows Update.

As a follow up, what AV are people using with WHS 2011?  (Preferably something free.)

Regards,

FB

P.S. This implies that ANY system that does not have AV installed will not get updates that require this key to be present!
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Never had AV installed on either of my two WHS2011 machines - there was nothing that really worked reliably and I still receive updates! Having said that I notice this is a recent phenomenon so I will check I am still receiving them and will post back my findings.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:16 PM
  • Same here. Never any AV installed. Out of curiosity I added the registry key as per KB4074598 and checked for updates. Guess what? 4 important updates are available: 2 for .NET, one for IE and this month quality roundup.

Luc.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:24 PM
  • I have not added the key yet but have one .NET update available (KB4033342). My last R2 rollup was installed mid-December 17. I have a Malicious Software Removal tool update in February 18. This is on both of my Servers.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:11 PM
  • There is a February cumulative update, you'll see it after adding the registry key.

Regards,

FB

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:24 PM