WHS v1 - Unexpected (sudden) Shutdowns RRS feed

• Question

• WHS (version-I) with a degrading problem of unexpected shutdowns…

I have a WHS (version 1) that I built approximately 3 years ago.  It’s a Pentium 2.6 ghz with 2 gig's of RAM on a Intel 845GV based motherboard (onboard VGA video, LAN, Sound, etc.).   I have six (6) external 1-tb  USB drives (various manufacturers). 

My server has received all of the updates, service packs, etc..  I have never used it to run any software locally; only for remote access, as a shared network resource and to backup my networked PC’s.

Rather recently, in the mornings, I would find my server in what appeared to be a state of hibernation (locked up, with no network connectivity or local monitor output).  This “state” has the power supply fan ON, but in addition to the video being “off”, the CPU cooling fan, hard drives and power indicator lights are off.  If I hold the power button for several seconds, the power supply shuts off (with an audible click and the PS fan shuts OFF).  Then I can re-boot the server (and even log-in), until the server drops back into the pseudo-hibernation state again.

When I watch these shutdowns, they are sudden; not a normal system shutdown (which takes at least a minute or two normally).

I verified that this is not a hibernation problem by verifying that the stand-by settings are turned OFF and the power settings to “always on”. 

I also verified that the power supply is not at fault (by testing with another power supply).  I disconnected all drives except for the system drive to try to make sure non of the internal HDD’s were causing a PS fault.

The unexpected shutdowns progressed to several shutdowns daily.  Currently, the server will not stay up much past a few minutes.

I working on the belief that I have a possible corrupted driver or an update may have caused this problem.  Booting into Safe Mode does not prevent the unexpected (sudden) shutdown.

The system will always boot back up (and I can successfully log-in thought the local keyboard, mouse and monitor), but it will “drop out” within minutes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Edited by PrimMvr Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:48 AM

Answers

• FYI -

It turned out to be a bad (faulty) momentary power button on the front of the PC case.  Apparently it was sticking closed, or was intermittently closing when not touched.  It was very hard to find, because it still makes that nice "click" noise when pressed, so I ass-umed it was fine.

Temporary remedy:  After starting up the machine, I unplugged the power button wires from the motherboard and the machine has stayed on for over a day.  Why it will stay ON during POST (cmos) start up, and not after it boots into the WHS operating system is a mystery though.

I found a very long and detailed set of instructions on how to troubleshoot ATX power supplies, which led me to testing the GREEN wire (which tells the PS to turn ON and OFF), and the VIOLET wire, which tells the motherboard that the PS is “good”.  It explained how the momentary button connects through the motherboard, and thus...how this could be the problem.

Whew!

-phil
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

your hardware was already old, as you built your system. So I would consider this an hardware issue. Some things to check:

Does the CPU cooler fan still work or is it full with dust? The same may go for the video card.

Do you find related events in the event log, pointing to disk issues (event source ntfs)?

If you open the case, do you see capacitors on the mainboard boiling up? In this case the board is at fault and needs to be replaced.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Germans...(Sheesh!)  :))

The mother board was brand-new at the time (not old or used); it certainly was not the most expensive (or highest tech) thing that was available, but it met all of the WHS requirements.  I also have two HP MediaSmart servers, and my homebrew WHS has always run circles around them (mainly because it doesn't have to be burdened down with all of the extra stuff the HP's try to do).

Nope, no obvious failed parts (like boiling caps...really Olaf?)... the CPU heat sink and fan are as clean as a whistle; I have always kept it well maintained.

One added piece of info, if I boot into the CMOS settings of the mother board....it will stay ON all day long...no tripping off.  So this is not an overheating problem.  It will only do this sudden shut down, a couple of minutes after it boots into WHS.

Any suggestion on how to Safe Boot it (just long enough) so that I can figure out which driver is the culprit?

-phil
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:09 PM
  • FYI -

It turned out to be a bad (faulty) momentary power button on the front of the PC case.  Apparently it was sticking closed, or was intermittently closing when not touched.  It was very hard to find, because it still makes that nice "click" noise when pressed, so I ass-umed it was fine.

Temporary remedy:  After starting up the machine, I unplugged the power button wires from the motherboard and the machine has stayed on for over a day.  Why it will stay ON during POST (cmos) start up, and not after it boots into the WHS operating system is a mystery though.

I found a very long and detailed set of instructions on how to troubleshoot ATX power supplies, which led me to testing the GREEN wire (which tells the PS to turn ON and OFF), and the VIOLET wire, which tells the motherboard that the PS is “good”.  It explained how the momentary button connects through the motherboard, and thus...how this could be the problem.

Whew!

-phil
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Hi Phil,

interesting finding - and still an hardware issue.

Ok, "boiling" was the wrong wording, should have been bulged. Examples can be seen here.
    IT - the last adventure of mankind ? ;-)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:50 PM