KB905474 Install Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently started getting a high priority update
    message from automatic updates asking to install
    windows genuine advantage notifier (KB905474).
    This fails to install.  I checked my Add/Remove list
    and it appears that KB905474 was installed 4/27/2006.

All other updates (high, low, and hardware) appear to
    install fine.  This is a valid Windows XP OS and I have
    never received a message indicating otherwise.  I have
    also tried revalidating the OS and Office 2003 and they
    both showed as valid.

Is there some way to get the install
    message to go away?

Thanks,

Ken West

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm getting nearly identical results as Ken West describes here with the exception that KB905474 does not show in my add/remove progs.

I've tried to install this update several times without success and get the following error code: 0x80242006

Thanks-

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 6:04 AM
  • Hey Ken
    Hey DocorV
    Hey Microsoft

Unfortunately I have nearly the same problem as Ken has: I had an illegal version of windows XP pro, bought a new license online, which I installed yesterday. Ever since I installed the new license, Microsoft Update and Automatic Updates both tell me that they want to install KB905474 but that the installation fails. I can't find the KB905474 in my Add/Remove list, but I do find a KB892130 there, entitled "Windows Genuine Advantage validation Tool". This update was appearantly installed the 7th of March 2006.

Microsoft, can you help me out here? I'ld like to see that "installation failed"-message gone.

Koen Suttels

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 6:26 AM
  • I have the identical same problem.

windows genuine advantage notifier (KB905474) installed successfully May 23, 2006 but now its trying to install again and has been failing, starting June 7, 2006.

I went to Genuine Advantage help site and went thru the diagnostics. It says everything is working properly for ActiveX controls, and that my windows xp is genuine.

The only thing I can think of is I restored windows to a previous restore point about a month ago, trying to fix a problem with USB-2 devices being enumerated as slower devices. Dont know if that has anything to do with this problem.

Anybody heard about a solution for the advantage notifier installation failure problem yet?

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 1:11 PM
  • Can you manually download and install this update: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe

reboot and go to Windows update and see if that fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 4:18 PM
  • Dear Greg,

Yes that fixed it!  I rebooted, then manually downloaded and ran the update file -no

problems at all.

Thanks for your help,

best,

Vion Sandor

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 5:54 PM
  • DoctorV:

I'm very glad you were able to get the issue resolved!

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 6:00 PM
  • I'm happy to report that downloading and manually installing KB905474 worked fine for me also.  It appears to  be a problem with WindowsUpdate trying to download the update.

Thanks,

Ken West

Friday, June 9, 2006 7:31 PM
  • Thanks heaps Greg - this has fixed a problem that has been annoying me for weeks.  It also seems to have got rid of a "Generic Host Process Win32" error.  Fingers crossed,
    Friday, March 23, 2007 1:35 AM
  • I ran the update without rebooting.  It froze.  Rebooted and ran it and it installed successfully.  I immediately ran windows update without rebooting and it was still trying to install from the update site.  With any luck at all a reboot will fix that too.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:49 AM