none
Using WHS as a file server/network attached storage? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if "file server" and "network attached storage" can be used interchangeably, but here goes....

I've read over and over where someone is afraid of losing "all of my pictures and videos" when/if a drive in the WHS box dies.

Here are some assumptions on my part:
    If you have folder duplication enabled, you won't loose any data if one of multiple drives goes out.
    There are at least 2 drives in the WHS box.

It sounds like people are using whs as a mapped drive and committing all of their data to that mapped drive.  Using WHS as a file server?  Is that correct?

I think I would like to do this with WHS.  We have 3 computers on a wired network that I'd like to have connect to the WHS box as a mapped drive and store all data there.  Or maybe not all of them, but one for sure as it's sorely short of HD space.  If all computers stored all data on mapped drives on WHS, WHS would need other backups on it.  Either external drives plugged into it, and/or an online backup service.

We use an online backup service on 2 of the computers now, but I'd like to have an online backup on the WHS box, since it will have all (or most of) data for the other computers on it and we only have to pay for one computer to get backed up online.

I guess I would have to make sure that the mapped drives (folders on WHS) are on WHS folders that have folder duplication enabled, otherwise I lose one layer of backup.

Hope I'm making sense,
    Monte
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• Not sure if "file server" and "network attached storage" can be used interchangeably, but here goes....

I've read over and over where someone is afraid of losing "all of my pictures and videos" when/if a drive in the WHS box dies.

Here are some assumptions on my part:
    If you have folder duplication enabled, you won't loose any data if one of multiple drives goes out.

That's correct (assuming you use Folder Duplication on all shares).

There are at least 2 drives in the WHS box.

You don't have to have 2 drives (although without it, you obviously have no duplication).

It sounds like people are using whs as a mapped drive and committing all of their data to that mapped drive.  Using WHS as a file server?  Is that correct?

Yep (although you don't have to map a drive in order to use it).  You can store your data in the shares on the server, or you can store your data on your clients, then backup your clients to your server.  You have to think of the file server as a completely separate function from the backups (even though it is on the same box).

I think I would like to do this with WHS.  We have 3 computers on a wired network that I'd like to have connect to the WHS box as a mapped drive and store all data there.  Or maybe not all of them, but one for sure as it's sorely short of HD space.  If all computers stored all data on mapped drives on WHS, WHS would need other backups on it.  Either external drives plugged into it, and/or an online backup service.

We use an online backup service on 2 of the computers now, but I'd like to have an online backup on the WHS box, since it will have all (or most of) data for the other computers on it and we only have to pay for one computer to get backed up online.

I guess I would have to make sure that the mapped drives (folders on WHS) are on WHS folders that have folder duplication enabled, otherwise I lose one layer of backup.

Hope I'm making sense,
    Monte
    The only caveat with mapped drives on WHS is that when you look at the properties of a mapped drive from a client, it will look "broken" (the pie chart will show full and the free space will be symbols instead of numbers).  It's due to the way WHS combines all of the hard drives into a storage pool in the background.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:11 PM