none
C# firewall question

Question

• Hi there,

I am working on an application which makes the user's computer act as a server in a local network by binding itself to a random open port. The user gets a popup letting the them know that it has blocked my application or some of its features.

What I am trying to understand is this, when I write a program in Python that does exactly the same thing as the .NET 3.5 application, the firewall has no objections to this.

I run my Python and my .NET application as a standard user (with no admin permissions) and I don't understand what Python is doing that .NET application is restricted from doing.

Any insight in this is greatly appreciated.

Jay
    Saturday, November 01, 2014 8:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• If python works and Net doesn't I don't think this is a firewall issue.  Your VS application may be connecting to a different socket on the computer which is creating the issue.  Do you have more than one ethernet card on the computer?  Net when connecting to an endpoint gets an array of IP located on the computer.  You may be using a different endpoint in the VS application than the one Python is using.

jdweng

Saturday, November 01, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Hello Jay,

Your issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage issue of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

In addition, you can consult on some development forum based on the type of you .Net application, maybe you will get some solutions.

For example, if you are working with Windows Forms app, you can consult on Windows Forms Forum:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=windowsforms

If you are working with WPF app, you can choose WPF forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=wpf

If you are working with ASP.NET Web Application, I suggest that you can consult your issue on ASP.NET forum: http://forums.asp.net/  for better solution and support.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Might try them over here.

General Windows Desktop Development Issues forum on MSDN

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 2:36 AM