Windows Explorer 'Date Modified'

Question

•  

I have an issue I've never seen before on my WHS.  The server is about 2 months old, built from the ground up.  New files being saved to the server show a modified date (seemingly random) from January 2004. 

The server time and date are right so why would Windows Explorer show such an odd date for the files?

Thanks for the help,

Po

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:42 PM

All replies

•  powlaz wrote:
    I have an issue I've never seen before on my WHS.  The server is about 2 months old, built from the ground up.  New files being saved to the server show a modified date (seemingly random) from January 2004. 

The server time and date are right so why would Windows Explorer show such an odd date for the files?

Thanks for the help,

Po

If you are copying the files from another computer to WHS, that is perfectly normal (assuming the modified date of the files are that date, of course).  (All Windows OSes are like that.)

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Hmm. Does certainly not appear normal to me. Any chance your system(s) are infected with some bug?

Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:08 AM
  •  brubber wrote:
    Hmm. Does certainly not appear normal to me. Any chance your system(s) are infected with some bug?

It is normal if the modified date of the source is that date.  Copying a file does not change the modified date (only created date and accessed date).

Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

brubber wrote:
    Hmm. Does certainly not appear normal to me. Any chance your system(s) are infected with some bug?

It is normal if the modified date of the source is that date.  Copying a file does not change the modified date (only created date and accessed date).

True when copying, however OP mentions SAVING NEW file to share
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:28 AM
  •  

Brubber is right . . . these files and directories are being created/updated nightly by the backup software. 

Before posting to this forum I contacted the maker of the software who told me that the dates showing in Windows Explorer are Windows controlled.  So I posted here to see if anyone has seen this before and if there is a way to modify it.  Perhaps the date can be corrected in the registry and Windows will then just update it accordingly from that point on - I don't know, I've never seen this happen with any other OS and I am (obviously) not sure how to fix it.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

Po

Monday, June 09, 2008 3:04 PM
  •  powlaz wrote:

Brubber is right . . . these files and directories are being created/updated nightly by the backup software. 

What backup software?

Monday, June 09, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Syncback SE

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html

Use it on another server - no issues.  Nice little program, can't beat the price.

Po

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:06 PM
  • No experience with WHS but I have had my share of timestamp issues.

Does this WHS server go to sleep and wake up on a schedule to do backups?  Is it just sleep or hibernate?

One possible scenario that pops in to my head is that the date/time on the WHS server is actually 2004 when it writes the files but by the time you go to check it the date/time is correct.  If your WHS were hibernating and the CMOS battery wasn't preserving the time, WHS could boot up with the clock reset to 2004.  It could then do backups and write files before the Network Time Protocol had a chance to get in touch with time servers and update the system clock.  By the time you check the date/time of the fileserver it's been on for a while and has had a chance to update it's system clock.

This is probably not the case... like I said, I don't have WHS so I can't even show that such a scenario is possible but maybe it can give you some ideas about what sort of issues would explain the behavior you describe.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:18 PM