Saving Data to D:\Data\Shares\ - Is it OK yet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm thinking of installing some remote backup software on my home server.  The software wants to save data (remote backups) to a local drive.  Now I know when WHS first came out it was a bad idea to save any data directly to the D: drive.  Is that still the case?  What about the D:\Data\Shares directory?  That seems to point to the correct folders?

Thanks...
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hi, I'm thinking of installing some remote backup software on my home server.  The software wants to save data (remote backups) to a local drive.  Now I know when WHS first came out it was a bad idea to save any data directly to the D: drive.  Is that still the case?

Yes.

What about the D:\Data\Shares directory?

It's unsupported and could cause problems with your data because you're effectively "going around" Drive Extender.

That seems to point to the correct folders?

Thanks...
    If you want to save data to a drive in your server, the best way to do it is to connect a drive to the server, but don't add it to the storage pool and use that drive.  It's still unsupported, but you are staying out of the way WHS works.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mark Prenter Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:42 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi, I'm thinking of installing some remote backup software on my home server.  The software wants to save data (remote backups) to a local drive.  Now I know when WHS first came out it was a bad idea to save any data directly to the D: drive.  Is that still the case?

Yes.

What about the D:\Data\Shares directory?

It's unsupported and could cause problems with your data because you're effectively "going around" Drive Extender.

That seems to point to the correct folders?

Thanks...
    If you want to save data to a drive in your server, the best way to do it is to connect a drive to the server, but don't add it to the storage pool and use that drive.  It's still unsupported, but you are staying out of the way WHS works.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mark Prenter Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:42 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Thanks!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:42 AM