why is there such a lack of support for hardware for home server RRS feed

• Question

• why is there such a lack of support for hardware?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:47 PM

Answers

• As Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003 there is tremendous hardware support for it.

What hardware are you having trouble with?

--
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Windows Home Server is an OEM & system builder product. As such, the manufacturer/system builder (you're a system builder) is expected to determine whether a given component is suitable or not.

If you're asking about built in driver support, Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, and has the same built in driver support that operating system does. If you need drivers for a hardware component that doesn't have a built in driver, you need to install it yourself. For Windows Home Server purposes, you want a Windows Server 2003 32 bit driver if one is available. Failikng that, a Windows XP driver is usually suitable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Evaders99 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 1:01 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:14 PM

All replies

• As Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003 there is tremendous hardware support for it.

What hardware are you having trouble with?

--
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Windows Home Server is an OEM & system builder product. As such, the manufacturer/system builder (you're a system builder) is expected to determine whether a given component is suitable or not.

If you're asking about built in driver support, Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, and has the same built in driver support that operating system does. If you need drivers for a hardware component that doesn't have a built in driver, you need to install it yourself. For Windows Home Server purposes, you want a Windows Server 2003 32 bit driver if one is available. Failikng that, a Windows XP driver is usually suitable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Evaders99 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 1:01 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:14 PM