WHS and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to install Windows 7 ultimate tomorrow, will be the 64 bit version.  I just purchased a WHS, a HPO EX495 with 8 TB's of storage.  I am confused about antivirus and antimalware.  Do I need to install this type of software on my WHS?  If I use MSE, will that cover my desktop and the WHS?  Thanks for any advise you may offer.
    Willy Wonka loves where I live
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies

• I plan to install Windows 7 ultimate tomorrow, will be the 64 bit version.  I just purchased a WHS, a HPO EX495 with 8 TB's of storage.  I am confused about antivirus and antimalware.  Do I need to install this type of software on my WHS?

Do you need to?  No.  Should you?  IMO, yes (especially if your server is on the internet and/or you allow other users access to your server locally).  However, I know the earlier HP MSS models come with McAfee.  I would assume the newer EX495 does as well.  If not (and you do decide to install an A/V on your server), you want to make sure you use one that is WHS-aware (don't install any old A/V on the server because of the way WHS handles files in the background).

If I use MSE, will that cover my desktop and the WHS?

No, only your client.  Although, in theory, as long as the only files that ever end up on your server come through your client (and your client's A/V is always active and up-to-date), you would probably be ok.

Thanks for any advise you may offer.
    Willy Wonka loves where I live

Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:28 AM