none
Keep in the Original Forum after Move RRS feed

• Question

• When I am moving a thread to another forum, I'm brought up to that forum after the move and have to press back button twice to return to the place I started from. I am wondering if it would be possible to keep in the same place before and after the move.

Thanks.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:29 PM

Answers

• I think starting recently it works OK, e.g. after I move a thread I remain in the original forum, which was desired behavior. It could have been one of the recent forum's updates.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:35 PM

All replies

• What I do is open the thread in new window, do the move, and then just close that window and I'm back to underlying thread view where I started from.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:03 AM
  • I right click the "Back" button in my browser and go back a few pages to where I want. There are several situations where this seems to be necessary, including when I move a thread. Other cases include when I filter the view.

Unfortunately, on my Windows RT 8 tablet with IE 11 (and no mouse) I see no way to right click the "Back" button, so I often need to click "Back" repeatedly. Worse, in some cases there are a series of "Continue" screens in the "Back" queue that I need to negotiate before I get where I want. Sometimes I give up and need to start over navigating to where I want to go.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, December 13, 2013 6:28 PM
  • When I am moving a thread to another forum, I'm brought up to that forum after the move and have to press back button twice to return to the place I started from. I am wondering if it would be possible to keep in the same place before and after the move.

Naomi,

I have seen that as well - sometimes it works well for me as I have forgotten to post in the thread letting the OP know I am moving it, and why, so it's helpful to still be in the thread :)

Karl

• Edited by Just Karl Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:31 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Unfortunately, on my Windows RT 8 tablet with IE 11 (and no mouse) I see no way to right click the "Back" button, so I often need to click "Back" repeatedly. Worse, in some cases there are a series of "Continue" screens in the "Back" queue that I need to negotiate before I get where I want. Sometimes I give up and need to start over navigating to where I want to go.

Richard,

I don't have a Win 8 tablet of any sort, so this might not work, but on my 'droid if I hold my finger on a link (such as the back button) it brings up the right click menu.

IIRC, it also works on my Win 8.1 touchscreen laptop.

Karl

• Edited by Just Karl Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:31 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:25 PM
  • On my Windows 8.1 RT tablet I also get a menu when I hold my finger or a stylus on the back button. But the only choice is "Back". Sometimes I can skip over the "Continue" screens by tapping twice in rapid succession. Still I often want to go back several pages and it can very difficult on a tablet.

I just attached a usb mouse to my tablet and found there is no right click menu on the back button.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Wow - that's too bad - my 8.1 laptop behaves as I described...

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:41 AM
  • I think starting recently it works OK, e.g. after I move a thread I remain in the original forum, which was desired behavior. It could have been one of the recent forum's updates.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:35 PM
  • want to go back several pages and it can very difficult on a tablet.

Sounds like you are using MUF IE?  Use the Open in Desktop button and then see if your browser History shows up?  (I don't know if it does but I think it should.  MUF IE is essentially just a UX filter for the same browsing functionality that Desktop IE uses...  Ha!  Vain hope.  Desktop IE is launched without the MUF IE tab's Browse stack (aka "Travel-log")

So, does swiping back work for you?  I always seem to reach too far and end up dragging in another MUF app--and in W8.1.1 that typically ends up being split screen.  I still haven't found a really efficient way to undo that mess and achieve what I wanted.  When I have a keyboard I use  Alt-CursorLeft to avoid swiping mistakes and ambiguities.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:51 PM