Restore tool - windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I had a hard drive crash on an XP system.  My Onecare backup is on an external drive.  I'm buying a new PC tomorrow with Windows 7 pre-installed.  Will I be able to run the restore tool on the Windows 7 PC to restore the backup from the external drive?

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:08 PM

Answers

• I have not tried this myself but if I am reading the One Care End Of Life page correctly the tool should run on Windows 7.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:15 PM

All replies

• I have not tried this myself but if I am reading the One Care End Of Life page correctly the tool should run on Windows 7.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Yes, it should run on Windows 7.
    However, if your intent is to wipe the PC clean and perform a clean install of Windows 7, then I suggest keeping the OneCare backup as a failsafe.
    Before wiping the PC clean, run the Transfer Wizard from the Windows 7 DVD to copy all settings and data to an external drive. Then install Windows 7 and  run the wizard again to bring all of the data over to the PC and, finally, install any programs you wish to run on Windows 7.
    Steps are here:
    http://www.w7forums.com/windows-easy-transfer-t829.html

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:03 AM