"Always Read the Fine Print" but not this time! RRS feed

• General discussion

• My subscription with another company will soon expire.  I was considering One Care and decided to visit this forum to learn what issues your existing customers may be experiencing  and how these issues are handled.

The first thing I noticed was the size of the print in this forum; fine print.  The next was that in the event I experience a problem with One Care, which in my case is very likely since I know very little about computers, I must first post the problem in this forum and if it is not resolved send an email.  There is no one for me to personally talk with.

I have only owned a computer for a year.  In that time I have learned enough to know what is important to me.  And the issues above are very important.

Microsoft has great products, however in this case they appear to have little concern for their more seasoned yet less experienced consumers.

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:44 AM

All replies

• The font size and style can be set on the toolbar when you post. The default is 10pt Arial which works fine for most. Towards the end of the day I also find the font size somewhat difficult to read so I just adjust the zoom level in my browser.

Regarding One Care support, you do not have to post here to reach support. Phone support could be easier to access but it is not really that difficult. It takes about 6 mouse clicks to reach the support phone number starting at the "Get Help With One Care" link in the user interface. Forum and newsgroup posts are made by those seeking additional information, help with using features and help with product issues. The majority of One Care users who do not need help or information do not post here. The process for reaching support could use much improvement. This doesn't mean Microsoft isn't concerned about their consumers, it just means it needs to be fixed.

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Hello, Nissi1.

Yes, the default display font in the forum is quite small. I'll increase the size for my reply before posting.

In the event that you encounter a problem with OneCare, you do not need to come here to post your problem - that is entirely optional. Support is available via email, chat, or phone to subscribers and via email to trial users. The process for reaching support is a bit convoluted, but is explained in this post:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you choose to subscribe to OneCare, I would suggest that you follow the procedure to contact support, make a note of the phone number and then cancel out of the process. Keep the LiveID and password you subscribed with handy and keep that support number with it. If you encounter a problem and your subscription can't be validated, you can still call support at that time.

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Good afternoon JimR1,

Thank you for such a timely reply.

I am grateful I was able to read your response in its entirety in my email application.  For although I had hoped for a reply, reading it on this board would have been frustrating.

Evidently, I missed something this morning when I was looking for telephone support.  Several posts I read recommended emailing to a link provided, for further support if the individuals continued to experience problems with One Care.

However, there is one consistency I have found throughout all the forums I have read, including this one; the dedication of the forum's liaisons.

God bless you,

Nissi1

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Good afternoon Stephen,

Thank you for your reply and increase in font size.

I use several of the Windows Live products, Live Mail is my default email and although I do not use it at all times, I have installed the Live toolbar, Live Journal, and Live Blog.  I will always keep my LiveID.

You have given me a reason to reconsider.  I will immediately look into the information you provided.  My reasons for considering One Care: it is a Windows Live product and to date I have not heard anything negative regarding its ability to protect one's computer.  Also being a computer illiterate, I thought it would be easier having as many of my softwares "under one roof" (manufacturer).

Thank you for the information.  I will use IE to increase the size of the pages' text, as JimR1 suggested, and begin to read the information you provided. 

Continued blessings,

Nissi1

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Regarding text size------I have encountered a problem.  I use IE-7 for my browser most of the time.  If I am composing an e-mail in Hotmail, Yahoo, or Comcast------all Web based accounts, I cannot adjust the font size.  If I click to make it smaller or larger nothing happens.  I have the same problem with posting at various message boards I frequent, even though they also have the sizing feature.

I suspect it's something to do with I E, because if I use Firefox the problem just isn't there and I can adjust the font sizes with no problem.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?  All the other Hotmail features work ok.

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:28 PM
  •  Latoque wrote:

Regarding text size------I have encountered a problem.  I use IE-7 for my browser most of the time.  If I am composing an e-mail in Hotmail, Yahoo, or Comcast------all Web based accounts, I cannot adjust the font size.  If I click to make it smaller or larger nothing happens.  I have the same problem with posting at various message boards I frequent, even though they also have the sizing feature.

I suspect it's something to do with I E, because if I use Firefox the problem just isn't there and I can adjust the font sizes with no problem.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?  All the other Hotmail features work ok.

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx or the 

Internet Explorer 7 Solution Center

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:50 PM