Australian users continually miss out on Microsoft offers RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey guys,

Before I start my post, I want to make it clear that this post should remain a discussion, and not a arguing session or a chance to attack any companies.

Now, I love Microsoft software - and being a genuine owner makes me feel a lot safer using the computer, however it disheartens me when I see that so many offers are given to United States users, whereas Australian users are usually let out of the equation.

For instance, the Power Together offer was a brilliant chance for users to learn about Microsoft software, then tell and teach others about the software. They also received a free full version copy - however, this offer was for the US only.

Then you come to the Windows Marketplace, where I have found replacement discs for sale - however, once again, only United States users can purchase these physical discs.

Then you come to the Buy Local offer, where users who buy a pc with Windows, Office or server preinstalled can receive free gifts, including a pack with software, wireless routers, printers, gift cards and hard drives. This is brilliant, however.. only United States users can receive these gifts.

Now I keep being told that Microsoft would "consider" us during the next update, however I have seen updates being made to a lot of these promotions.. but not with the inclusion of Australia.

And, take particular interest to the Windows Marketplace - I want to spend money purchasing this disc, however no matter what I do and who I ask, no-one can put me in the right direction. Support has lead me to a page to order them in the US only, and I have found the Windows Marketplace that will only sell to US users.

So, why is it that Australian users, and might I add other users not in the US, seem to be continually left out of these brilliant offers that Microsoft have to offer? Why is it I can't even have the chance to spend money on the Windows Marketplace and order these discs?

(If a support member is able to organise this to be sent to me in Australia, please let me know as I will be more than pleased - I have been looking for months, with heaps of emails to Microsoft never replied to and live support requests that leave me in the wrong direction).

MiCCAS.net Got an MSN/WLM virus? Checkout my free site at www.msnvirusremoval.com
    Monday, September 1, 2008 9:26 AM

All replies

• Dear MiCCAS,
    Thank you for your message. I'll make sure that the folks in Marketplace see it.

I do know that there are plans to expand Marketplace beyond the US, but I do not know what the plans and timeframes are. Marketplace in the US was a very successful pilot program.

Regarding the Buy Local offers - this is a co-marketing project between US system builders and Microsoft. The purpose of the program is (at least) twofold: to provide benefits to customers who purchase PCs with pre-installed Microsoft software from a local system builder, and to assist local system builders in competitive marketing (to put them on a more level playing field with the large OEMs). If you are interested in seeing such a program in Australia I suggest continuing to talk with both Microsoft and your local system builders.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Best regards,
    Jenifer
    Monday, September 1, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Thanks JeniferA,

Could you please also ask them if I would be able to purchase a new Vista Ultimate disc mailed in Australia?

MiCCAS.net Got an MSN/WLM virus? Checkout my free site at www.msnvirusremoval.com
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:40 AM