• Question

• Hello,

I am running the following versions of the various WHS components:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

I have followed all of the instructions for setting up remote access to the WHS and sharing folders. and, in fact, both remote access and shared folder access work as expected.

When I log onto the WHS via the following browser command line (using MSIE8):

https://<mycompanyname>.homeserver.com/

I am able to access the WHS home page with the "Computers" and "Shared Folders" tabs without problems.

When I click on the "Shared Folders" tab I am able to see and access only the folders automatically set up by WHS and stored in directory "shares" (or ones I set up when logged onto the WHS console). I cannot see or access any of the other shared folders I have set up manually outside of directory "shares" either on the same drive or on a different one.

I have checked a number of times the permissions and security settings of the other shared folders. They are all set to give "everyone" full control. I am able to access them remotely across the LAN without problems.

I have spent a number of hours searching the web for potential solutions to my problem but have found none.

Can you help me? How can I give users remote access to shared folders on my WHS which are not in the "shares" directory via web access? Obviously, I am missing something but can't figure out what.

By the way, I also ran regedit to take a look at the keys holding information for the shared folders in "shares". They are all stored in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Storage Manager

I had a passing thought of trying to set up keys for other shares in the same location but thought better of it.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Alex Donnini
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:42 AM

All replies

• So it sounds like you setup shared folders outside of the console... you must have done that using an RDP session...  If that's the case I don't think that method of access is supported by WHS, so users can't get access to those folders using the web interface.

If that is what you did, then I think you have 2 choices... which are also not supported... I think you could use a VPN to give users outside of your network access to these folders.  Or you could setup an FTP server on your WHS, and give folder access that way.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply. It's as you guessed. I set pu the other shared folders by logging onto the WHS locally, and simply turning on sharing for selected folders.

I am not surprised by your answer. I have found two alternative solutions:

1) As you suggest, using VPN

2) IIS based access, i.e. https://<myhomeserver>,homeserver.com/webfolder

Thanks.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Hello,

I am running the following versions of the various WHS components:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

I have followed all of the instructions for setting up remote access to the WHS and sharing folders. and, in fact, both remote access and shared folder access work as expected.

When I log onto the WHS via the following browser command line (using MSIE8):

https://<mycompanyname>.homeserver.com/

I am able to access the WHS home page with the "Computers" and "Shared Folders" tabs without problems.

When I click on the "Shared Folders" tab I am able to see and access only the folders automatically set up by WHS and stored in directory "shares" (or ones I set up when logged onto the WHS console). I cannot see or access any of the other shared folders I have set up manually outside of directory "shares" either on the same drive or on a different one.

I have checked a number of times the permissions and security settings of the other shared folders. They are all set to give "everyone" full control. I am able to access them remotely across the LAN without problems.

I have spent a number of hours searching the web for potential solutions to my problem but have found none.

Can you help me? How can I give users remote access to shared folders on my WHS which are not in the "shares" directory via web access? Obviously, I am missing something but can't figure out what.

By the way, I also ran regedit to take a look at the keys holding information for the shared folders in "shares". They are all stored in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Storage Manager

I had a passing thought of trying to set up keys for other shares in the same location but thought better of it.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Alex Donnini

The best option (and the only supported one) is to "undo" what you did and do it the proper method (by creating the shares in the Console).  Also, by doing that, you get the advantage of using Drive Extender (the other ways don't).
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:59 PM