Server backup: Problem adding new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• To backup my server, I put in a new hard drive.  When I use ethe add-a-hard-drive wizard, I get this error:  "The hard drive was not formatted.  The hard drive was not formatted because it is being used by another program or service.  Restart your home server and add the hard drive again."  I restarted the home server to no avail.  Any ideas?

Background:  I had been using an evaluation copy of WHS with Power Pack 1, successfully, for quite a while.  I decided to install a purchased copy.  I installed that purchased copy of the old version at the same time as the new hard drive.  Naturally, the installation of the older WHS made the newest hard drive a part of the storage pool.  I removed it from the storage pool, and installed Power Pack 1.  Then, when try to re-add the new drive as a backup drive (instead as a part of the storage pool), I got the above error that it could not be formatted.

Thank you for your ideas.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:31 PM

Answers

• OK, I went through the wizard, and instead of telling it to format, I told it to keep the old files on the drive (even though I was not conscious of there being any old files on the drive.)  It went ahead and added it successfully.  Good enough for me.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:36 PM