Activating Vista, won't accept my product key RRS feed

• Question

• I had Vista Home Premium on a computer and I had to replace the hard drive. I just got my computer back today and while reinstalling windows it asked for my product key. I typed in the Product key located on a sticker on the side of the unit and it say it can not be validated. So how can I install windows when it say it wont be accepted? Can I just search online and use someone elses product key to get vista working???
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hello Twilightblazer,

I don't recommend using a Product key found online since the key would be Blocked sooner or later (if not already) and you would then be (more or less) in the same predicament.

Vista allows you to install without using a Product key. This is known as a Keyless Install.  Windows will then use it's own Keyless Install key which will allow you to complete the install. Once installed, the Keyless Install key will act as a Trial key and allow you to use windows for 30 days. 

In that time, click the Start Button, right-click on Computer and select Properties. In the windows that comes up, scroll down to the bottom of the windows and click the Change Product Key button.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 15, 2010 9:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 15, 2010 9:52 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:52 PM