Inconsitency capacity between WHS console and Disk management RRS feed

• Question

• For my test server I use a 3ware raid controller which is capable of migrating RAID levels and configurations. For my test I installed WHS on a two disk RAID0 set. After the installation I added a third disk to the RAID0 set increasing the capacity of the RAID0 set. The change in capacity was visible only after restarting the server.

In the WHS console the increased capacity is show correctly. However in Disk Management I see the capacity increased but it's shown as "unallocated"

My DISK0 has a 10 Gb SYS partition, a 586 Gb DATA partition and 298 Gb Unallocated.

In WHS the disk has a capacity of 894 Gb

I'm now going to put more then 586 Gb of data on the WHS and see what happens.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:24 PM

All replies

• In the WHS Console, did you right-click the new disk and select Add?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Because I increased the capacity of the RAID set no extra disk is showing up in the WHS console.

In regards of copying more the 586 Gb of data; It is not possible. During copying I get there is no more diskspace.

In the WHS console the free space is 304 Gb.

I consider this a bug, but because WHS does not support RAID, the chance you can recreate this scenario with single disks is minimal. Only using tools to copy a small disk to a langer disk without extending the data partition could have the same result. And also using these tools is not supported by WHS.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:39 PM
  • I have the following "work-arround".

Using Disk Management I have change the basic disk to dynamic. After the reboot I was able to extend the data volume (partition). The capacity  between WHS console and Disk management is consitent again.

Ofcourse I have no idea WHS supports dynamic disks

Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Using disk management tools other than the WHS Console will very likely break your server due to the way drive extender works. It is clearly mentioned in the WHS documentation and on the page that loads when you start the administrator's desktop.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:50 AM
  • @rkoelewijn:

What you found is true of all OS's as far as I know.  Resizing at the 3-Ware level has no effect on the the partition size in the OS, until you enlarge its idea of what the size should be.  Fortunately, on Windows it can be done non-destructively with a good partition manager.  Such is not the case in other OS's.

Friday, March 2, 2007 7:58 PM