Re-installing OEM license RRS feed

• Question

• Our PCs come with an OEM license (naturally). When our corporate image is installed the OEM license is blown away and we use our VLK. Now... when we dispose of our PCs we want to remove the VLK and re-install the OEM license. I ran both of Phil Liu's tools but the OEM license on the sticker always shows as invalid.

What's the problem?

Monday, July 31, 2006 7:49 PM

Answers

• You need to use your old CD's to reimage. The update tool is not to be used for this purpose and will not be fully supported unfortunately.

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:25 PM

All replies

• You'll need to perform a "clean install" using the PC manufacturer's Windows XP installation media.  The PCs probably came preinstalled with Windows XP Home Edition and that Product Key will not work if you are running Windows XP Professional.

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  

Monday, July 31, 2006 8:02 PM
  • Peter:

Is the license COA for Home or Pro?

Monday, July 31, 2006 8:05 PM
  • It is an XP Pro license.

xxxxx

This was the original IBM OEM license.

I really don't want to remove the corporate imaged OS and re-install the original...

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:02 PM
  • Thanks Carey, but the original is XP Pro.....

Why would a genuine XP pro license show as invalid???

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:04 PM
  •  PeterGardner wrote:

It is an XP Pro license.

xxxxx

This was the original IBM OEM license.

I really don't want to remove the corporate imaged OS and re-install the original...

Peter:

Can you clarify what you're trying to do exactly? I understood it as wanting to remove the company's volume license and move to an OEM license before disposing the computer..

-phil

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:27 PM
  • Hi Phil,

That is exactly what  I want to do.

All our PCs have an OEM license sticker on them. They  are then imaged using our VLK. Before disposing of them I tried to change the license key back to the one on the OEM sticker (they are both XP Pro) using your KeyUpdateTool but I keep getting an "invalid license"

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 3:20 PM
  •  PeterGardner wrote:

Hi Phil,

That is exactly what I want to do.

All our PCs have an OEM license sticker on them. They are then imaged using our VLK. Before disposing of them I tried to change the license key back to the one on the OEM sticker (they are both XP Pro) using your KeyUpdateTool but I keep getting an "invalid license"

Reinstall using original recovery partition that you happily deleted when the system was reimaged.

Or go contact OEM and try buying reinstall CD. Good luck with that.

Or buy new license (which comes with a CD). MS likes that option.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:22 PM
  • You need to use your old CD's to reimage. The update tool is not to be used for this purpose and will not be fully supported unfortunately.

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:25 PM
  • Phil,

That is totally unacceptable. Surely you guys can figure out a way to allow a valid license key to be inserted rather than a full re-install. I'd be embarrassed........

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:40 PM
  • Sorry, its the only way to go to XP Home. I'm under the assumption that the COA on the computer is for Home, and you have Pro installed. The update tool does not allow this conversion, nor does it allow conversion to leaked, blocked, or non-genuine Product Keys.

What kind of key are you attempting to switch to? It does allow Pro to Pro switching, unless the file systems are too corrupt to change.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 11:00 PM
  •  PeterGardner wrote:

Phil,

That is totally unacceptable. Surely you guys can figure out a way to allow a valid license key to be inserted rather than a full re-install. I'd be embarrassed........

Please keep comments like this to a minimum.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Hi Phil..

Just to be clear....

All our PCs come with an OEM version of XP Pro...

We re-image them with XP Pro using our VLK.

I need to remove our VLK and re certify the OS with the original OEM licence (the one on the OEM sticker that is a valid XP Pro license) WITHOUT re-installing the OS before disposal.

No can do.......

Monday, August 7, 2006 9:02 PM
  • Outside of the Product Key Update tool, there is no WGA supported method. It is a case where the product key update tool is being used outside of its original design - to convert non-genuine licensed computers to correct licenses. Not from genuine-Volume/corporate editions to genuine OEM's. I don't mean to be to blunt, and I apologize if I'm coming off as brash, but its not how we designed the tool to be used.

I cannot support issues outside of WGA validation unfortunately. I suggest filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com or contacting your Volume Licensing Account Manager for more intimate and immediate support.

-phil

Monday, August 7, 2006 9:37 PM