none
My Threads Takes 90 secs to Complete or Timeout

Answers

• This is likely due to the fact that they brought back the ability to see more than 60 days of history in My Threads.  What they really need to solve the problem is a dropdown filter that the user can set to define how far back to look.  Sometime you want to only see 10 days of history, sometimes you want to see 8 months worth and don't care if it takes 5 minutes to refresh.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:22 PM

All replies

• This is likely due to the fact that they brought back the ability to see more than 60 days of history in My Threads.  What they really need to solve the problem is a dropdown filter that the user can set to define how far back to look.  Sometime you want to only see 10 days of history, sometimes you want to see 8 months worth and don't care if it takes 5 minutes to refresh.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:22 PM
  • I'm finding it to be quite a bit faster with today's forum software.  What do you think?
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:42 PM
  • No, still slow for me in Chrome.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hello,

On two different computers both have IE and Chrome. When clicking "My Alerts" it takes an average of 45 seconds to view the page. Granted I have 4000+ alerts so that might be the issue. It is very frustrating in that if my problem is how many alerts then there is (at least from what I can tell) no way to filter down to say one month. Also I thought it would be nice to be able to unsubscrible from threads i.e. Press a link which would take me to my last page of alerts (currently this is not an options) then using say checkboxes mark them, press a button to unsubscribe (yep I am dreaming :-)).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:55 PM
  • I'm finding it to be quite a bit faster with today's forum software.  What do you think?
    I do not see any improvement. I use SeaMonkey browser (same rendering agent as FireFox).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:26 PM
  • On two different computers both have IE and Chrome. When clicking "My Alerts" it takes an average of 45 seconds to view the page.

If you are using W8 you could try switching to MUF IE.  E.g. right-click on a Tab and choose Open in Immersive Browser.  (Perhaps that is also possible with Chrome?)  Doing that I notice that I am not signed in.  See if not being signed in makes any difference to your timing?  We know that there is definitely a difference that way when opening long threads so serendipitously this could be a useful workaround for that problem.  E.g. open your My Threads in MUF IE then click on a link for a long thread.  So, if you had your My Threads open in MUF IE I wonder what happens if you then want to reply?...  I get automatically signed in and then go back to the same slow rendering.  Even slower I suspect.  And it didn't even start a Reply with Quote for me!  Just signed me in and opened the thread again at the top, losing my place.  Now trying the same trick again is slow.  I see My Threads with Sign out at the top.  So what happens if I sign out?  Won't that sign me out of everything?  Why does this stuff have to be so quirky?  It's like playing Adventure (which I never liked)--"Twisty passages, all different".

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:06 PM
  • Hello Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion but I am in Window 7.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:29 PM
  • no way to filter down to say one month.

I don't have any Alerts any more but I imagine that they have an RSS feed?  You could have more control over them that way.

Press a link which would take me to my last page of alerts (currently this is not an options) then using say checkboxes mark them, press a button to unsubscribe.

I thought that is what they do have--paged lists which you can only operate on one page at a time.  In that case there may be an implicit &page= variable in the URL you could try exploiting.  The most glaring deficiency in the UX about Alerts is that you can't toggle them from a message list, e.g. the My Threads list, where you can see the icon but do nothing with until you open the thread. 

At one point there was a bug in here which made the Alert me checkbox persist no matter how hard I tried to keep it off.  I'm turning it on again now so I can see how it really works but I certainly hope it isn't as much work to undo as I remember.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Edit:  no RSS feed for Alerts at least not with the URL that I constructed from the one for My Threads.  E.g. just overtype threads in that URL with alerts.  Result:  an apparent redirect to the normal Alerts page, ignoring all the parameters but leaving them in the Address bar.
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:52 PM
  • Hello,

It is a tedious process going through pages via the page number, open threads one-by-one and remove the alert. My plan is to get rid of two or three pages at a time (got to balance this with work and home time). Each time I get rid of two or three pages I will see if it makes a difference and report back to this thread of success or failure and by no means see myself doing this quickly. If this ends up working I am going to do this on a monthly basis i.e. get rid of at least 100 or narrow this down to the last three months. In regards to the RSS feed, yes I realize that.

Friday, April 4, 2014 12:52 PM
  • It is a tedious process going through pages via the page number, open threads one-by-one and remove the alert.

Could it be automated?  E.g. a Powershell script which: looped in the current page, opened each thread, found the "Remove alert" button, clicked on it, and then closed the thread?  Then the only manual work you would have to do would be setting up the page and starting the script.  Such automation is something which could have much wider application than just assisting with the toggling of alerts.  For example, for a long time I have been dreaming of having a useful RSS feed of My Threads and the techniques needed to implement what I have just sketched would be needed for doing that too.  I imagine XSLT would be required?  Powershell does that.  In fact, though, it is possible that the above implementation might be too closely tied to emulating the UX and most of it might not be needed at all--only the loop.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:51 PM
  • I have no doubt this could be automated yet I am not that concerned with this and would not be happy if by reducing the amount of threads in My Alerts did not solve the problem. The more I think about this I believe this happened once last year with me and went away 'magically' (yet we all know there is no magic in computers but what we code into it).

Friday, April 4, 2014 9:21 PM