none
Synctoy created 24500 temp files - how to delete RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XPpro SP3

Synctoy 2.1  ver 2.1.0.0

Western Digital MyBook World edition NAS

While backing up my itunes music to a 2GB WD MyBook World NAs device it created 24500 temp files. Synctoy completed but with errors and all the folders were created empty but all the files were just temp files in the root of the destination folder.

A new synctoy session will not fix the issue but tries to copy the files again.

I can not delete the temp files, I was able to delete the empty folders.

At this point nothing else will copy to the folder.

How can I delete these *.tmp files

Seems like 24500 files must be the NTFS file limit as I had 24500 items in the folder before and after I deleted the empty subfolders.

Please help I can find no tools to allow deletion of these files. When I try I get the message...

Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot Delete filename.ext: Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

At this point Synctoy will not even run and at this point I get an error - Synctoy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, please make sure, your original file should not be deleted or damaged. Then could you have a try to restart OS, then  delete existing folder pairs, recreate the folder pairs?

Furthermore, if you have a large number of files, I suggest you to seperate them into couples of folder pairs, in this way, it will speed the syncing process, and aslo avoid such *limitation* errors happen.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:04 AM