Remote Access Alternative RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

In the couple of hours I will begin the installation of the WHS OEM.  The hardware is a new build and I hope ready to go.  The clients, of which there will be four, are all running SP2 Win Home Edition.  That means no remote access to the WHS desktop and a lot of the configuration will have to be handled "locally".  This will not be a problem for the short term but long term it will not fly

Now my question is probably obvious.  Is there any alternatve, other than a migration to either Win XP Pro or one of the versions of Vista, that will allow me to have access to the WHS desktop from just one client and continue to run Home Edition?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:07 PM

Answers

•  wjperry wrote:

The clients, of which there will be four, are all running SP2 Win Home Edition.  That means no remote access to the WHS desktop and a lot of the configuration will have to be handled "locally".  This will not be a problem for the short term but long term it will not fly

No, you can still access the WHS Console or Desktop (using the MSTSC.exe remote desktop client)

You cannot remotely access your WinXP Home Edition machines. (ie, the other way around...)

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:24 PM

All replies

•  wjperry wrote:

The clients, of which there will be four, are all running SP2 Win Home Edition.  That means no remote access to the WHS desktop and a lot of the configuration will have to be handled "locally".  This will not be a problem for the short term but long term it will not fly

No, you can still access the WHS Console or Desktop (using the MSTSC.exe remote desktop client)

You cannot remotely access your WinXP Home Edition machines. (ie, the other way around...)

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Perfect!  I had it in my head that there was something but couldn't pull it together.  Thanks!!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:19 PM