Reinstalled, how do I check my data is there? RRS feed

• Question

• My server's board failed, so I replaced it with a SuperMicro X8DTL-6F and Xeon 5606 with 8GB RAM (which I now know is a waste, but I had these lying around). I put the CD in and chose 'server reinstallation', it began the install then on the 'finalizing install' bit it took about 8 hours or more to complete before getting me to set up a password. It is now installed with no obvious error messages and I can get to the WHS desktop.

My old shared folders DO show up, but I am not able to access them from the 'shared folders on server' shortcut on the desktop - they all say that they are not accessible and I may not have permission. I have not been able to try accessing it from another PC yet, but on the storage tab one of the shared folders usage seems to be less than half what it should be - this is a folder that DID have duplication enabled so I don't know why it would be that small and I'm kind of worried.

Can anyone tell me how I can check that my data is there? How I can make it so I can view the folders from the server itself? Also how come this shared folder would show as using half the space it did before I reinstalled when I had duplication enabled?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:26 AM

All replies

• By way of an update, the 'used space' is now looking correct for this folder - the one in question went from 112GB to 589GB, however I am still unable to actually access them from the desktop. I won't be able to try connecting it to anything until tonight because the box is currently at work, however whatever happens I do need to be able to access it from the desktop anyway.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Did you recreate all of your user accounts in the WHS Console and perform all of your setting changes in order to get your Windows Home Server back into the working state you had it in before you needed to perform the reinstallation?  Have you reinstalled the Connector software from the client machines?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : My server's board failed, so I replaced it with a SuperMicro X8DTL-6F and Xeon 5606 with 8GB RAM (which I now know is a waste, but I had these lying around). I put the CD in and chose 'server reinstallation', it began the install then on the 'finalizing install' bit it took about 8 hours or more to complete before getting me to set up a password. It is now installed with no obvious error messages and I can get to the WHS desktop.
    :
    : My old shared folders DO show up, but I am not able to access them from the 'shared folders on server' shortcut on the desktop - they all say that they are not accessible and I may not have permission. I have not been able to try accessing it from another PC yet, but on the storage tab one of the shared folders usage seems to be less than half what it should be - this is a folder that DID have duplication enabled so I don't know why it would be that small and I'm kind of worried.
    :
    : Can anyone tell me how I can check that my data is there? How I can make it so I can view the folders from the server itself? Also how come this shared folder would show as using half the space it did before I reinstalled when I had duplication enabled?
    :

BullDawg
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Thanks for the response. No, I have not recreated any user accounts yet, nor have I installed the connector software - I have not had a chance to connect it to my home network yet as it's not at my home. I'm trying to verify the status of the data from the server desktop, logged in as Administrator as I was always able to do before the reinstall.

Are you saying that I'll have to recreate the user accounts that I previously had in order to look at my data from the server desktop, even though I'm logged in as Administrator?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:53 AM
  • You need to open the WHS Console  and check your users and shared folders tabs.  The properties for each need to be the same as before.  In the Shared Folders properties, verify the "user access" tab allows access to those you desire.  I have always done this before I have tried to access any of the shared folder data, so I am not certain if this has to be done first or not.

Before you do any of this, ensure WHS is fully updated (WHS Console/Settings/Update Now).  After a round of updates is completed, keep going back to "Update Now" until no further updates are offered.  If you wait for WHS to do this automatically, it may take a few days or a week before all updates are installed.  Do NOT use Windows Update from the Start Menu, only use Update Now from the WHS Console.

Final warning:  Be very careful what you do from the WHS Desktop.  Unless you know exactly what you are doing, and the consequences, you may break WHS.  WHS is intended to be configured and maintained from the Console. This is very critical when adding users, shared folders, and setting permissions.  These should only be done from the WHS Console.

Good luck.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Thanks for the response. No, I have not recreated any user accounts yet, nor have I installed the connector software - I have not had a chance to connect it to my home network yet as it's not at my home. I'm trying to verify the status of the data from the server desktop, logged in as Administrator as I was always able to do before the reinstall.
    :
    : Are you saying that I'll have to recreate the user accounts that I previously had in order to look at my data from the server desktop, even though I'm logged in as Administrator?
    :

BullDawg
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Cheers, I will try that. In the meantime does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to view it as administrator? I did have a thought that it may be related to the reinstallation - the fact that it needs to regenerate the storage database from the discs. When one removes a disc and it's moving the data it has this same behaviour, so I'm wondering if this is why I am not able to access them. Has anyone had experience with a reinstall? Is this normal? I've not seen any progress bars relating to regenerating the database, but the last step of the install did take about 8 hours.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:31 AM
  • This was some very strange problem relating to networking. The motherboard I was using needed drivers installing for the NICs, as soon as I got it home and installed these drivers I could see the contents of the shared folders from the Administrator desktop. I've no idea why.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Strange indeed.  Glad you got it working.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : This was some very strange problem relating to networking. The motherboard I was using needed drivers installing for the NICs, as soon as I got it home and installed these drivers I could see the contents of the shared folders from the Administrator desktop. I've no idea why.
    :

BullDawg
    Friday, April 20, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Strange indeed.  Glad you got it working.

Standard Windows networking, nothing strange at all. Without a network stack, you can neither access a network share nor share data, and the link on the server desktop is to a network share (\\server). Installing network drivers supplies the missing component.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Okay, makes sense now.

One more to file away for future reference.

My link on the WHS desktop points to \\%computername%\ while the client desktop link points to \\servername\ .

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Standard Windows networking, nothing strange at all. Without a network stack, you can neither access a network share nor share data, and the link on the server desktop is to a network share (\\server). Installing network drivers supplies the missing component.
    :
    : -- : I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    :

BullDawg
    Friday, April 20, 2012 12:53 PM
  • On the server,  \\%computername%\ = \\servername\. \\localhost\ is logically equivalent, but uses the predefined loopback IP address of 127.0.0.1.

Note: \\localhost\ will not work if there's no network stack active...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:42 PM