MCSA 2003 to MCSE 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a quick question.  I am currently working toward my MCSA 2003.  I have completed CompTIA A+ and Network+ certs.  Microsoft wise, i have completed exams 70-270 and 70-290.  I am planning to take (and pass) the 70-291 exam next week.  After 70-291 i will have completed my MCSA 2003. 

My question is, will the MCSA 2003 count as an elective toward the MCSE?  I see on the MCSE 2003 page that an MCSA 2000 can count as one elective toward the MCSE 2003.  I know i need to do 70-293, 70-294, and i am planning to use 70-298 as well.  Would I still need to do one more elective following 298?

Maybe this is a simple question, but i am confused.  Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Chipp,

I'm afraid that you'll have to take an elective exam in addition to the 2003 MCSA.  I have heard several explanations of this and they actually made sense.  The clearest one is that the elective that you used for your MCSA (the CompTIA A+, Network+ certs) is not a permissible elective for the MCSE.  Had you used an elective for your MCSA that the MCSE also allowed, you would be one exam closer.

Allan

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:05 AM

All replies

• My guess is that it would work since MCSA 2000 works.
    Eric
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Hi Chipp,

I'm afraid that you'll have to take an elective exam in addition to the 2003 MCSA.  I have heard several explanations of this and they actually made sense.  The clearest one is that the elective that you used for your MCSA (the CompTIA A+, Network+ certs) is not a permissible elective for the MCSE.  Had you used an elective for your MCSA that the MCSE also allowed, you would be one exam closer.

Allan

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Looks like I was wrong, thanks Allan :)

I would recomment the 70-620, it counts as an elective and will cout for the next gen cert on the way to MCITP: EA

Eric
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Yes, Allan is correct. And, in my opinion, so is Eric: about the 70-620! :)

That is if you have proficiency in Configuring Windows Vista! Otherwise Eric is just spitballing! :)

Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Yes the proficiency, forgot about that.

As for spitballing....maybe maybe not...  :p had a little flash back to elementry school after reading that word :)

Eric
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:21 AM
  • could you plz stop posting your useless links ?ok ,
    your useless links are full with my email which can not hear from my friends.
    Maybe everyone have known your link ,but they will  think your links  are very  malicious ,even though your links are friendly.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:02 AM