Unable to connect with Home Server Console or Remote Desktop after PP2 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Since installing PP2, I've been completely unable to connect to my server with either Remote Desktop or the WHS Console using either my Vista Ultimate laptop or my Windows 7 netbook.  There's no problem accessing folder shares or the WHS website.

WHS Console claims that I'm getting my password incorrect and Remote Desktop says it "can't connect to the remote computer".

I've checked the usual suspects, like making sure there's a hole in the firewall at TCP 3389 and the service is actually running.  I've also rebooted my server a couple of times, for good measure.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can proceed in troubleshooting my problem?

Thanks,

Matthias
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Matthias,
    if your server is self made and has a NVidia graphics card, it may be the drivers for the card, which are causing the problem.
    Solution 1: Uninstall the NVidia video drivers.
    Solution 2: Appply the following lines into the registry of your WHS.
    For doing so, save the next lines in a text file with the extension .reg on a shared folder of your server and import it after logging in locally to your server in its registry. After that reboot the server.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by mpfl Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:49 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

Since installing PP2, I've been completely unable to connect to my server with either Remote Desktop or the WHS Console using either my Vista Ultimate laptop or my Windows 7 netbook.  There's no problem accessing folder shares or the WHS website.

WHS Console claims that I'm getting my password incorrect and Remote Desktop says it "can't connect to the remote computer".

I've checked the usual suspects, like making sure there's a hole in the firewall at TCP 3389 and the service is actually running.  I've also rebooted my server a couple of times, for good measure.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can proceed in troubleshooting my problem?

Thanks,

Matthias
    Have you tried disabling the firewall on both server and client?  Have you tried unplugging the router from the cable modem?  Can you ping the server both by name and by IP address?
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Hi Matthias,
    if your server is self made and has a NVidia graphics card, it may be the drivers for the card, which are causing the problem.
    Solution 1: Uninstall the NVidia video drivers.
    Solution 2: Appply the following lines into the registry of your WHS.
    For doing so, save the next lines in a text file with the extension .reg on a shared folder of your server and import it after logging in locally to your server in its registry. After that reboot the server.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by mpfl Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:49 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Vielen Dank, Olaf.

Looks like that solved the problem.  I'm curious, though.  Why did the problem only crop up after installing PP2?  I've been running this server with this hardware for quite some time and hadn't experienced any problems before.

MfG von Australien,

Matthias
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Why this happened, is only speculative, but maybe a limited stack of a certain ressource did now not provide enough capacity any more, because it is more used by other stuff as well.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:48 PM