Cannot Deploy nodes RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to deploy the head node, but my attempt at deploying the the compute node template fails.  The compute nodes go to unprovisioned nodes,  at certain times I am able to install Window HPC server 2008 r2 on to the compute nodes but they hang before deployment configuration.  I am certain that the deployment configuration needs to be done after installing the OS.  But the hpc management provisioning log displays waiting for boot pxe.  It seems that the node cannot be configured to join the cluster but the image however gets installed.  I have tried manually joining the domain from the compute node but no luck.  Any ideas?
    • Edited by youngin Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• hi Youngin,

From what you have described, you are having connectivity with your Domain Controller from your compute nodes, you might want to check with you network admin to see what they can do to help you out.

Michael

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I was able to connect to my domain controller manually by added it on each node just recently.  However its not successfully completing deployment when assigning a node template.  Its unable to install the hpc pack as well.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hi Young,

Could you tell me more about your network topology? What type of enterprise/private/appplication networks do you have?

Also, how are you doing your deployment? Could you list the steps you took so far?

Michael

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:30 PM
  • I have the topology 3 setting, 

I have used the windows 2008 r2 hpc edition image and added the drivers as well.  I created a standard default compute node template with the wim install.  I assigned a new node with the template and went through the wizard.  However the compute node seems to skip step from joining the domain and thereafter.  I wanted know if what would cause this.  I am able to go online with the headnode and no problems exist,  however compute nodes seems to hang during the provisioning.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:17 PM
  • I do have the topology 3 setting, 

I have used the windows 2008 r2 hpc edition image and added the drivers as well.  I created a standard default compute node template with the wim install.  I assigned a new node with the template and went through the wizard.  However the compute node seems to skip step from joining the domain and thereafter.  I wanted know if what would cause this.  I am able to go online with the headnode and no problems exist,  however compute nodes seems to hang during the provisioning.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:32 PM
  • In addition to what I said, I installed the Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition R2 Service pack 1 , then HPC Pack.  I've read in other forums that the dcpromo option is not supposed to work in this version, why would Microsoft post the download for both on site and release notes of them if you can't create a dns server or domain controller on the head node.  I also had it obviously working for a few days but then the AWDS problem kicked in it pretty much disconnected me from the domain controller of the headnode.  Are there any service packs out there that may have fixed this problem?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

DC and DNS are supported on the HN. Just want to make sure one thing - you did have HN joined to the same domain on itself, right? You may want to make sure that you can manually join the DC on your HN from a CN before you do a big deployment.

Michael

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:54 PM