Remote Access to My Home Server.... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Folks, there is hope for WHS!!!  I think Microsoft and anyone building hardware for WHS will need to take a second look at supporting some critical functions (at least I think they are critical) of the software and hardware and include RAID to insure that the WHS OS can survive a catastrophic primary HD failure.

I just logged into my server from Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina and was able to check on the health of my network, my backup status (the one system I left running hasn't been backed up for 8 days as my wife is also traveling) and the health of all my drives is good.  I then logged into the WebPam software for my Promise TX4310 RAID controller and checked that all drives are running and have had no issues, the "global" spare configured as a 4th drive is also working fine.  I then logged into my UPS software and checked all three UPS devices connected to all my AV equipment (one also provides power to the server) and was able to view all the logs which indicate that all self tests were run successfully with no faults or issues.  It appears that the whole mess in working like a charm.

Anyway, hope to see the Power Pack update soon, will be deployed for the next 9 or 10 months and I intend to check a couple of times a month to see how things are going.  The server is also configured to call for help should a UPS or RAID drive have a critical problem, help (for my poor wife) is standing by should something crash.

Just wanted to share the good news....

LJ

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:49 PM

Answers

• It's good to hear that you're having success with your home server.

Power Pack 1 is available for download on the Microsoft Download Center.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:19 PM
  • It's due to be rolled out in the August Windows Update window, so you will get the notification then.

Colin

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• It's good to hear that you're having success with your home server.

Power Pack 1 is available for download on the Microsoft Download Center.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Thanks Ken;

Not sure I want to try and upload such a big package and install it from 5000 miles away - I guess that would be a real test!  Do you know if WHS is likely to try and snatch this up on its own?  I have it configured to automatically download updates, though I don't think I told it to install them.

LJ

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:35 PM
  • It's due to be rolled out in the August Windows Update window, so you will get the notification then.

Colin

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:39 PM