Windows 7 & Biometric Devices (Upek) causes error = unable to logon through Live Mesh RRS feed

• General discussion

• Let me copy an email I have with Upek support, but I thought the Live Mesh team should be included as well:

----------------------------
    Every so often my logon screen will get stuck with the following error message "An error occured preventing the use of your fingerprint credentials". The only thing I can hit is "Ok", which quickly flashes back to the screen where I can select a user and within milliseconds it goes back to the same error.

I believe the error has to do with Windows 7 power management defaults with handler with biometric devices which is "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power". This isn't a problem when I am sitting at my computer and can tap the fingerprint reader to force it on (which suppresses the error), but this becomes a major issue when logging in remotely (via Mesh).
    ----------------------------

- The brand and model number of your notebook. Dell D420
    - The Hardware VID and PID of your fingerprint device - see http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/windows7/sensortypes.asp for more information where to find them. Matches screenshot
    - You say that you see this issue quite often. Try to provide us with some number e.g. once a day, once per hour, every second logon attempt etc. Every time I try logging in remotely through Live Mesh. I am able to login successfully using "Remote Desktop Connection" regardless of the state of the biometric device (it's smart enough to know that if I'm logging in remotely I don't need the option of a fingerprint reader).
    - When the problem occurs and you log in by entering your password are you able to successfully manage your fingerprint data from Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Biometric Devices? E.g. try enrolling one more finger. Is there any error message displayed? I have multiple fingers enrolled already. I can successfully manage everything once I am in.
    - Does it help if you disable (uncheck) the "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power" option in fingerprint device properties? I change the setting (remotely) and I'm still getting the error, however, I think because Windows turned off the device, unchecking the device did not turn it back on. So, even though the "Allow...turn off..." is unchecked, I think the device is still turned off. I cannot confirm my original hypothesis until I get home later this afternoon.

Please see the attached screenshot of my logon screen from Live Mesh. Clicking "OK" brings me right back to this same screen.

Screenshot: http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2150/upekscreenct6.jpg
    • Changed type Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:44 PM not a question
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:07 PM

All replies

• Does this happen when you use normal remote desktop, or is specifically a problem that only occurs when using the Live Mesh RDP?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:42 AM
  • parterburn said:

- You say that you see this issue quite often. Try to provide us with some number e.g. once a day, once per hour, every second logon attempt etc. Every time I try logging in remotely through Live Mesh. I am able to login successfully using "Remote Desktop Connection" regardless of the state of the biometric device (it's smart enough to know that if I'm logging in remotely I don't need the option of a fingerprint reader).

From the original post it looks like it works with Windows' Remote Desktop, just not with Mesh's Remote Desktop feature.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:54 PM