How to create a catalog of Business Web Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our organization develops various business services in a SOA oriented manner. These web services are developed in .Net in Visual Studio, and with standard web service interface like SOAP / WCF / Rest interface. The source code is maintained within TFS source control.

We'd like to create & maintain a central catalog of such web services, for documentation purposes, so it will be possible for all programmers to have a common shared list of such web services, each of which with some basic info e.g. service name, purpose, calling method, etc...  Such capability is given via SOA Discovery & Governance Tools available on the market but such tools usually target big SOA as well, hence are rather expensive and may be an overkill for our simple need.

Upon probing the subject here in MSDN, on TFS and System Center forums, and also Microsoft Documentation, we understand that capabilities now available in System Center & APM tools, that we already have available in our organization, are not intended yet by Microsoft as per now to address the need as explained above - they rather to focus on identify & analyze bottlenecks and faults in performance and operation, which are very important by themselves but yet don't address the need we're relating to here.

Can u please advise how to simply cost effectively start creating and mantatining such catalog, and also how to identify and extract it from the repository of source code, i.e. how to easily identify those web services with some global find query / report / whatever simple means, and how to maintain the basic documentation around it.

I'm sure we are by far not the first organization to need such solution, so maybe an intermediate one exists in some other organization, of which its simple concept could be shared here, till there's a built-in solution potentially provided within System Center in future It would be very interesting and potentially beneficial by the way to learn also how Microsoft maintains its own catalog of web services that Microsoft develops for its products, to be available for its programmers - though different in size / volume - may be of some insight.

Looking forward to an answer. Thank u.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hi moital,

Thanks for your response.

If it is not the WCF issue, I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

I know that there is another forum in ASP.net which is related to the Web Services, if it is related to it, you could post the issue here:

http://forums.asp.net/28.aspx

Anyway, I move it to the moderator forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by moital Monday, December 2, 2013 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi moital,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Just to make this issue clearly, whether it is the same issue as this one “Team System - Web Service Catalog” posted by you?

If it is related to the TFS, I suggest you post this issue to the TFS forum like the above thread.

Like Qiao’s suggestion in the above thread:

For how to create this “business web service” which you want created for your code and check-in to TFS Source Control, I think you should contact the appropriate Code language experts for the better response. TFS Source Control use to store the source files, and will not do changes to the source files.

If you mean that you want to develop an app, you’d better post this issue to the specific development forum.

Do you mean that this issue is related to the WCF? If it is the WCF development issue, you could post this issue to this forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=wcf

If not, it would be better if you could share me move information about the real app you want create, so I could help you find the correct forum.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Yes indeed it is the same question. I moved it to this forum, based on the advice from the TFS forum to ask this question in the context of the language. Would u please recommend specific forum to place this question so not to ping-pong sort-to-speak between forums ?

p.s. issue is not specific to WCF - WCF is just one of the methods to expose Web Services, as REST is etc... hence needs to be accounted for whilst identifying web services for the catalog.

Thank u

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:06 AM
  • Hi moital,

Thanks for your response.

If it is not the WCF issue, I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

I know that there is another forum in ASP.net which is related to the Web Services, if it is related to it, you could post the issue here:

http://forums.asp.net/28.aspx

Anyway, I move it to the moderator forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by moital Monday, December 2, 2013 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:18 AM