none
MapPoint 2013 - Can it display a value on a pushpin? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to display a value (e.g. 1, 22, 109) associated with a pushpin in a postcode district (and print this).  I hoped that the software would let me do this easily but so far all I have been able to do is import my set of pushpins and then display the values by displaying the pushpin information, which is no good (too busy, and the information box is too big).  Does anyone know a way of doing what I want?
    Monday, May 20, 2013 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi JLindsay -

When importing a list - you can assign two names for each pushpin (Name 1 and Name 2).  These show up in the header.

In the attached image - I used the 'value' column in my import list as the name. 

Now, when pushpin ballon is open, and no additonal data is chosen to show - you only see the value in the name.

Is this what you're looking for?

I add values in to pushpin headers all the time.  When plotting prospects on the map, I'll include company name - and the 'Prospect Value Indicator' - or 'PVI' that is important to me for the account...so if I'm selling to trucking companies, it might be the number of trucks.

Now - the number I'm interested in is next to the comapny name....so when you use 'Find nearby places', you'll see a list of all prospects near you - including their name, how far away they are - and what their PVI is.

Cool stuff.

Please let me know if I understood your question ... and if this helped.

Thanks!

Keith O'Brien

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:25 AM
  • Hi Keith

Thanks for your response, it was great to get one so quickly!  Unfortunately, the space taken up by the balloons is so large and I have so many datapoints, that the map becomes unusable.  I'm mapping the number of families per postcode district (which would correspond to one of your towns, I guess) that have stayed in our charity's accommodation.  The values go from 1 to maybe 200.  I want to put a numbered pin in the map with the value in the pin - I can fudge it by using a different dataset for each distinct value and using the numbered pushpins but that's a lot of work and I would have to define my own pushpins for values above 50.  (Also I suspect there's a limit on the number of datasets).  I'm probably trying to do something the system isn't designed for!

Any further suggestions would also be very welcome.

Thanks again, Julia

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Thanks Julia - after I posted, I considered that you might in fact be looking to have the pushpin be the value.  Sorry - I'm not familiar with that capability....I agree it wouild be useful and will watch for any additional replies to your question.

Thanks for replying!

Keith

Keith O'Brien

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:19 AM