Removing Windows Live ID RRS feed

• Question

• Cal-

I've read your responses and tried to remove the Windows Live ID, but when I go through the steps (i.e. set the date to 1/15/2001; open Money; select File/Password Manager/Remove), I get "Your Windows Live ID (email and password) was not removed.  Please try again."  I'm not connected to the internet (i.e. no ethernet cable and my wireless radio is turned off).  I'm running MS Money 2007 Version 17.0.120.3817 and am able to access my data using my WLID and password.  Ultimately, I'm trying to migrate to Quicken and removing WLID appears to be a key step.  Help...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

• I have not tried doing a repair with a WLID on it, and I don't have one to experiment with. I think you are saying that you are getting that indication when you enter the email address and the password into the repair program. So the operation does not complain about your credentials, but only immediately says that it cannot repair the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830

Answer is no for both of your questions. In Money, it is important to import all of the files at once with Ctrl+<click>. That is how Money figures out transfers.

I would create a set of QIF files now, even if you may never use them. That could be important if you are later unable to get into your file for some reason. I think that is a real concern.

If you have virtual XP mode, you could try Sunset in that environment without affecting your Windows 7 installation. At this point, I see Sunset as your best hope.

• Proposed as answer by stoertebecker Monday, September 19, 2011 3:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by austintim Monday, September 19, 2011 4:49 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:58 PM

All replies

• You could try to make a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2 and then trying the removal again.

Have you tried converting as is? I was thinking that Quicken could deal with that.

Also consider installing Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on a different computer to see if that lets you turn off the WLID? The advantage of using a second computer for that is that you could continue to using Money 2007 without disturbance.

The resulting file would only be readable by Money Plus, and you would have to have to have Money Plus installed on the machine that you did the Quicken conversion on.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I tried to repair the file, but get the message:  "The utility could not repair your file.  Repair a different version of your file, restore a backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure that your file is not saved as read-only.(0x800a144e)".

I have tried converting the file from Quicken, but get prompted for the password that is then not accepted.

I'll try to install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset and let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the help.  I really like Money, but need online quotes, hence the migration to Quicken.

-Tim
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I tried to repair the file, but get the message:  "The utility could not repair your file.  Repair a different version of your file, restore a backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure that your file is not saved as read-only.(0x800a144e)".

I am sorry to hear that.  Copy your *.mny file to your Documents folder or Desktop. Right-click the file and make sure the read-only attribute is not set. Try repair of that file.

You could try restoring a file from before the problem occured and see if you can do a standard repair on that file. If that works, I suspect your conversion will go well. The corruption may have gone back a while.

When you restore a backup (*.bak), I suggest not using the saved filename, but rather Browse to your Documents folder

If you are unable to get a good file, I would do QIF export and import. The import could be into a new Money file, or it could be into a new Quicken file.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Tried to restore the copy of the file, but get the same error.  Also checked that both the original file and the copy are not read-only.  It seems to be related to the same password issue, as the error occurs when I enter the password, if this is what you mean by corruption.  Haven't had any password issues within Money other than when trying to remove the WLID and with the restore function.  This is the first time I've tried to do either, as I haven't had a need in the past.

Regarding the QIF export, it appears as though that is done one account (i.e. checking, savings, cash, or other) at a time.  Is there anyway to export all accounts at one time or do I have to do the export manually for each?  Also, if I end up doing it manually, can I import more than one account into the same file (i.e. export checking and savings into two separate files, but import them into the same, new Quicken file)?

-Tim
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I have not tried doing a repair with a WLID on it, and I don't have one to experiment with. I think you are saying that you are getting that indication when you enter the email address and the password into the repair program. So the operation does not complain about your credentials, but only immediately says that it cannot repair the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830

Answer is no for both of your questions. In Money, it is important to import all of the files at once with Ctrl+<click>. That is how Money figures out transfers.

I would create a set of QIF files now, even if you may never use them. That could be important if you are later unable to get into your file for some reason. I think that is a real concern.

If you have virtual XP mode, you could try Sunset in that environment without affecting your Windows 7 installation. At this point, I see Sunset as your best hope.

• Proposed as answer by stoertebecker Monday, September 19, 2011 3:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by austintim Monday, September 19, 2011 4:49 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:58 PM