Live Mesh Update occurs every day at least once, often more RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've been using Live Mesh since its technical preview and have it on a number of PCS, but it's only the first one I ever installed Live Mesh to, which exhibits this behaviour. Without fail, every morning when I switch on my monitor (I leave the laptop on usually) I find a small notice saying there's a new update.

Should I simply delete the installation and re-install from scratch as this is the main PC against which I then update to live desktop and other PCs.

Thanks for any tips.

Ralph
    Monday, February 23, 2009 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Ralph,

Sounds to me like some sort of update is failing - what version of Live Mesh is running on the affected PC? My version currently reads 0.9.3424.14 (to find the version, open the notifier, click on the down arrow near the help button and press version).

Removing and then reinstalling will most likely fix the problem, although then you'd be losing out on the opportunity to help track down what sounds like a cool bug! :) I'd suggest that you collect the logs from the computer and submit a bug, so that if this is reproducible it can be fixed - instructions here. Then, depending on how much this is affecting your computer you can either wait for a solution, or nuke the install, which will most likely provide a quick fix.

After you submit a bug, don't forget to post the Connect ID (or a link) back here.

Thanks!

Oren
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralph,

Sounds to me like some sort of update is failing - what version of Live Mesh is running on the affected PC? My version currently reads 0.9.3424.14 (to find the version, open the notifier, click on the down arrow near the help button and press version).

Removing and then reinstalling will most likely fix the problem, although then you'd be losing out on the opportunity to help track down what sounds like a cool bug! :) I'd suggest that you collect the logs from the computer and submit a bug, so that if this is reproducible it can be fixed - instructions here. Then, depending on how much this is affecting your computer you can either wait for a solution, or nuke the install, which will most likely provide a quick fix.

After you submit a bug, don't forget to post the Connect ID (or a link) back here.

Thanks!

Oren
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Hi Ralph,

Are you logged into an administrator account on this machine?  The behaviour you're seeing can be caused by installing Live Mesh under a standard user account (even if you entered admin credentials at install, also known as "over-the-shoulder elevation" - which is not supported by Live Mesh at this time).

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Hi Oren

I'll give that a go and post the Connect ID as suggested.

Ralph
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Hi Ben

Yes installed whilst already in an Admin user account so don't think that's the issue.

Cheers

Ralph
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I checked the version as of now (and yes I had the update again today (and every day). It's registering me as on version 0.9.3424.5

Best

Ralph

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Hi Ralph,

That certainly sounds like an older version to me, and since your on an admin account (which rules out the common cause) I'd lodge a bug for it.

Please post the ID or a link to the bug in here so that others can validate / track it.

Keep us posted!

Oren
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:25 AM