serial or paralell? RRS feed

• Question

•  

what can application exactlly  run on the hpc server2008?

can i submit the serial applications on this cluster or just it's made up for paralell appllcation?

for examlpe adobe photo shop or 3d max or eny other application that made with serial technology algoritms.

what do you suggest for this scenario and how can i  balace this application cpu & RAM load?

i dont want to buy a very expensive hardware  to handle the load of this application because in our company many computers have a lot of free time and i want to install HPC server on these pc's and help to improve the performance of these application. is it possible or just dream?

can the HPC technology can help us  to changing this trobble to happy

tankx and best regards.

Administrator
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:26 AM

Answers

• Basically our scheduler simply allocates cores to your job and then launches your command line on the remote machine; it doesn't care what the command line is.  So you can run serial applications.  This is most commonly done when you have a serial application which must be run hundreds of thousands of times; in this case you don't need to parallelize the appliction itself to make things faster; just use the cluster as a way to distribute the work among many machines.  Running serial applications on the cluster can also be useful to simply avoid the slowdown of running a heavy application on your workstation.

Be aware that you don't really have direct access to the node your job runs on; so if there is UI that must be clicked starting it through the scheduler isn't very partical.

The second part of your quesiton implies that you would like to use HPC to "harvest cycles" from unused workstations.  That's not a solution that we offer today as part of the product.

-Josh

-Josh
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:09 PM

All replies

• Parallel computation = Serial computation + communication overhead
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Basically our scheduler simply allocates cores to your job and then launches your command line on the remote machine; it doesn't care what the command line is.  So you can run serial applications.  This is most commonly done when you have a serial application which must be run hundreds of thousands of times; in this case you don't need to parallelize the appliction itself to make things faster; just use the cluster as a way to distribute the work among many machines.  Running serial applications on the cluster can also be useful to simply avoid the slowdown of running a heavy application on your workstation.

Be aware that you don't really have direct access to the node your job runs on; so if there is UI that must be clicked starting it through the scheduler isn't very partical.

The second part of your quesiton implies that you would like to use HPC to "harvest cycles" from unused workstations.  That's not a solution that we offer today as part of the product.

-Josh

-Josh
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:09 PM