Some little things hard to understand ... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

There's some little thing about WHS/VAIL that I don’t really understand.

I think we are all agree that WHS is a HOME product (as it is named), for HOME users with Windows OS on their computer.
    As this is for an HOME use you should expect that the Windows OS will be for the vast majority Home, home premium (Vista/7)and Family (XP) edition.
    Agree ?

So now I look my WHS remote access and I see a "connect" feature" near each computer name that are configured with WHS. But as the connect feature is based an the ability of hosting an RDP connecting… I can see an "version incompatible" and I'm will not be able to connect my home computer.
    Why? Because ma HOME computer is a Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM without RDP host feature on.. as all the Windows HOME/FAMILY editions!!

Am I the only one thinking it's a little bit paradoxical from MS ?
    => Adding some feature on their HOME server product which is purely incompatible with their own HOME client product !

MS should be a little more consisting for this kind of things…

(PS: sorry for my poor English, I make the best I can)

Friday, August 20, 2010 7:33 AM

All replies

• Basically, the problem is that the group in change of desktop operating systems gets to decide what features will be in each version of an OS they deliver. They have decided that being able to make a remote desktop connection to a computer is a feature that will only be available in premium/business oriented SKUs of their operating systems. The Windows Home Server team can only use the features they're given. So they can provide a Remote Desktop gateway in Vail, but they have little influence with the group that would have to change the client operating systems to allow this to work the way you want.

In addition, many people have one or more business SKUs of client operating systems running at home, and those do support remote desktop. So there's some benefit to the feature.

It's definitely not intuitive. It's very "big business", though.

And your English is fine. It's better than my French (I think that's your native language?) these days, though I used to be fairly fluent. :) So don't apologize.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:08 PM
  • You would be hard pressed to find any new computer at Best Buy (etc.) on display
    that is a business SKU. Most are Home SKUs.

But, there definitely IS some magic that they could do, if they WANT to support
    Home SKUs.

You probably didn't know this, but Windows Media Center Extenders have always
    used remote desktop functionality, even on Home SKUs.

I suspect that adding the needed functionality to support Vail could be done as
    part of the connector install on non business SKUs IF someone wanted to do this
    work.

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:08:27 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

>In addition, many people have one or more business SKUs of client operating systems running at home, and those do support remote desktop. So there's some benefit to the feature.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Actually, yes I did know about that little bit of magic, and how extenders work. But probably many don't, Barb, so thanks for the additional information.

Sadly, I doubt the Windows Home Server team would be allowed to perform that bit of magic. However, some ISV could conceivably develop an add-in that includes client components that would do this. Just a thought for add-in developers...

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:44 PM
  • it is existing technology and why would MS discriminate against a product that
    could truly benefit from this enhancement.

I'd rather see an answer from someone officially part of the WHS team.

I'd file a bug, but I don't HAVE any Home SKU computers.

If someone from MS is reading this, perhaps they could elaborate on feasibility.
    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:44:49 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

>Sadly, I doubt the Windows Home Server team would be allowed to perform that bit of magic. However, some ISV could conceivably develop an add-in that includes client components that would do this. Just a thought for add-in developers...

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:45 PM
  • In addition, many people have one or more business SKUs of client operating systems running at home, and those do support remote desktop. So there's some benefit to the feature.

Maybe in your country :D but I can assure that here you'll fine 99% of Home/Home premium SKU. 

BUSINESS are only for real business uses, and the only "home users" I know with an Business SKU (and superior) are some power users or guys who never payed their Windows (If you see what I mean).

By the way the main target of an WHS system is not necessarily power users (You are the first here to say that ;) ), this are people who buy their computer at non specialized store, without any knowledge about all this kind of things. And you'll find no Business SKU at all with this kind of computer.

Maybe Home server team should put some more pressure, but I know that is that the way MS work : each team make it onw stuff with so little interaction between each other.

Damn their are so frustating !!

PS: And yes I'me Frenchy ;)

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:09 PM
  • it is existing technology and why would MS discriminate against a product that
    could truly benefit from this enhancement.
    You're joking, right? You've been an MVP longer than me, you should know even better than I do how convoluted Microsoft really is, internally. This is going to be all about revenue generation: home SKUs sell for less, so they have fewer features (even if everything is there "under the hood" to let it work if the right switches are flipped). If you want a business oriented feature (as Microsoft defines it), Microsoft will tell you to buy a business OS for a higher price.
    I'd rather see an answer from someone officially part of the WHS team.

I'd file a bug, but I don't HAVE any Home SKU computers.

Such a bug will be "closed by design" because several (maybe a couple of dozen, I can't be bothered to go look and anyway many of the bugs from the V1 beta are no longer in the system) already have been, and Microsoft has in the past stated that WSSG is unable to alter the feature set on desktop operating systems to allow Remote Desktop to work. If the desktop folks won't enable Remote Desktop support "out of the box" on a SKU the team's hands are tied. Yes, it's stupid. It's also quintessential Microsoft.

As for "official response", again a joke?

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:47 PM
  • "The Windows Home Server team can only use the features they're given. <snip> "..have
    little influence with the group that would have to change the client operating systems to
    allow this.."

Then, if they have no influence on the team developing Windows (8 presumably) to change
    Home Premium Edition to include remote desktop, then the WHS team should remove the word
    "Home" from the WHS name - since the majority of home users will have "Home" Premium. How
    stupid can they be!

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --------------------------
    "Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:46c65d25-51a0-4e94-83ed-7a9c60aaaf25@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Basically, the problem is that the group in change of desktop operating systems gets to
    decide what features will be in each version of an OS they deliver. They have decided that
    being able to make a remote desktop connection to a computer is a feature that will only
    be available in premium/business oriented SKUs of their operating systems. The Windows
    Home Server team can only use the features they're given. So they can provide a Remote
    Desktop gateway in Vail, but they have little influence with the group that would have to
    change the client operating systems to allow this to work the way you want.

In addition, many people have one or more business SKUs of client operating systems
    running at home, and those do support remote desktop. So there's some benefit to the
    feature.

It's definitely not intuitive. It's very "big business", though.

And your English is fine. It's better than my French (I think that's your native
    language?) these days, though I used to be fairly fluent. :) So don't apologize.

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:49 PM
  • "Sadly, I doubt the Windows Home Server team would be allowed to perform that bit of
    magic"

Then they should give the whole thing to someone (team or manager) that CAN develop WHS
    properly. What a ridiculous notion, that the WHS would not be "allowed" to make WHS a real
    'workable' "Home" Server. Totally insane IMO.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --------------------------
    "Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:f3481e52-c286-4a35-a8b4-ee597268d778@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Actually, yes I did know about that little bit of magic, and how extenders work. But
    probably many don't, Barb, so thanks for the additional information.

Sadly, I doubt the Windows Home Server team would be allowed to perform that bit of magic.
    However, some ISV could conceivably develop an add-in that includes client components that
    would do this. Just a thought for add-in developers...

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:49 PM