Constant Notifications from the notification tray RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is my first day using the new version of OneCare and I'm already very frustrated with the frequency of notifications that are occuring. It seems every few minutes there is a notification telling me that I am now in a public wifi hotspot then followed by another notification a few minutes later telling me that I am in a home or work network.

I am currently connected to an local access point that does not do any soft of encryption or authorization through 802.11. I am not sure if this is throwing off OneCare or if there is just a problem with the product.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:00 PM

All replies

• It is likely that the signal is dropping and reconnecting, but that would still be annoying.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:39 PM
  • In the past when the signal drops Windows will also do something in the notification try to let you know; and also I wouldn't have network access. I have also had SSH sessions open while doing this and they have not dropped.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Friday, July 13, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Hi, I am the Microsoft PM for the WiFi Security feature.

One idea of what may be causing you issue, is multiple wireless networks your PC may be automatically switching between.

You did not mention if this was XP or Vista, but I would make sure you have only one wireless network name configured to auto-connect.

This can be done be either removing all other wireless network profiles or at least making sure the current one is at the top.

Also make sure the SSID/Network name is a unique name you have changes on the router and not the default name that comes pre configured on the router.

One more thing, if you are connected both via wired and wireless, make sure that under the ‘OneCare settings’ --> Firewall tab --> Advances Settings --> Network Connections tab, all connected networks are marked as 'home or work'.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

Thanks,

Oded

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:17 AM
  • Oded,
    I actually had to uninstall OneCare 2 on that laptop as I lost all network wi-fi connectivity with it installed. After uninstalling all is working good again on that laptop. I still have it installed on my desktop and so far all is good; however I have no wi-fi on my desktop.

--Aaron
    Monday, July 16, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

can you please file a bug on the connect site about the issues on your laptop?

Steve,

this is another thread for the firewall discussion.

thank you,

-Vikram.

Sr. Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare, Microsoft.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:56 PM
  •  

I'm having a similar problem since 1.0

I'm connected to my wireless home network, it's set in the vista network manager as a private WEP secured network with some media sharing enabled.

but onecare keeps jumping for "your connection is restriced 'cause your on an unseccured netwok" and "your now connected to a secure network".

No i havn't noticed any problems with accessing the PC or running any network apps no matter what it's reporting, i just wish i could turn off this particular notification!

Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:37 PM
  •  P1 Dante wrote:

I'm having a similar problem since 1.0

I'm connected to my wireless home network, it's set in the vista network manager as a private WEP secured network with some media sharing enabled.

but onecare keeps jumping for "your connection is restriced 'cause your on an unseccured netwok" and "your now connected to a secure network".

No i havn't noticed any problems with accessing the PC or running any network apps no matter what it's reporting, i just wish i could turn off this particular notification!

Are you using the 2.0 beta or the 1.6 production subscription?

You can disable the warnings by unchecking the option in OneCare to automatically change the firewall settings. Of course, this will cause you to have to manage this yourself, should you connect to an open network.

If you are seeing the message bouncing, it would appear that your connection is indeed dropping intermittently, but reconnecting fast enough that you don't notice any problems other than the annoying OneCare warning.

-steve

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:31 PM
  • This was happening with both the 1.6 subscription and the 2.0 beta, all be it with slightly different wording in the notifications... I will shortly be upgrading to a new 802.11n home network so it will be interesting to see if this solves it

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Do let us know what happens when you change out the hardware.

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:07 AM
  •  

i have this problem too. it's not really onecare's fault though, for me its vista.

the wireless LAN changes to "identifying...." at totally random intervals, and while its like this onecare is rightfully clamming up.

maybe it is dropping the WLAN, but i dont get any interuptions in service. i had a weak signal, so i recently bought a base stand and new antenna, and now i have a 'very good' signal at 54mbps. no change in this behaviour though.

however, my neighbours also have a WLAN, and their router is better than mine, and probably about the same distance from my pc.

however, this was al invisible to me until i installed onecare. i suggest the onecare team speak to the vista wireless team about sorting this out.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:42 AM