Restore/Reinstall WHS 2011 OS to larger HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a HP ProLiant Microserver and installed WHS 2011 on a 500GB drive. As expected the OS partitioned the drive into 60GB for the OS and the rest as partition D. I then installed three 2TB HDD and migrated my data from my HP EX495 on WHSv1 to the Microserver. After a lot of consideration I feel that I should have installed the OS to a 2TB HDD instead of the 500GB HDD. This would give me a considerably larger D partition.

My question is can I somehow move/migrate/reinstall or restore my WHS 2011 to a 2TB HDD and preserve all of my databases?

Friday, December 9, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• You can clone your 500 GB HDD to a 2 TB drive, extending the second partition to fill the rest of the drive. While Microsoft doesn't support cloning any Windows OS (that's left to the publishers of disk cloning tools), Windows Home Server 2011 should survive the experience, while V1 would choke.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jiminwmbg Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:28 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:24 AM

All replies

• You don't need to do that, instead use the "Move Folder Wizard" in the Dashboard to move all your shares to E: (your 2TB drive). That will leave the 60GB OS (C:) and a blank D: drive on your  500GB drive. Of course you do not need to move all your shares from D: to E:.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Phil, I would like to have 4-2TB HDD in my HP Proliant Microserver so that I have more space. Is there a compelling reason to leave the 500GB drive with the OS alone and not change the 500GB HDD for a 2TB HDD?
    Friday, December 9, 2011 11:36 PM
  • You can clone your 500 GB HDD to a 2 TB drive, extending the second partition to fill the rest of the drive. While Microsoft doesn't support cloning any Windows OS (that's left to the publishers of disk cloning tools), Windows Home Server 2011 should survive the experience, while V1 would choke.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jiminwmbg Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:28 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:24 AM
  • So once you have your 8TB whs system or 6TB if you plan to do raid 5.

What wil you be using to back up to?

Just wondering..

Monday, December 12, 2011 2:02 AM