Windows Updates issues on MediaSmart Server ex487 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a HP MediaSmart Server ex487 with Windows Home Server on it. I’m getting that Network Health is critical message due to it not able to download Windows Home Server updates from Windows website. I already shutdown and restarted but I still get same message. The server has Avast AV as the add-in but no other firewalls under Add-Ins–>Installed Tab. Does this device have a default firewall on it? If so where is it where I can configure it?  I run the HP Update but none are found.  Current HP software is 2.1.7.  The machine that I use to access the mediasmart server is vista 32-bit and disabled firewall on it as well.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:32 PM

All replies

• If you use Remote Desktop to login to your server and open Internet Explorer here, can you reach Windows Update from there (or any other website)?
    If not, you may have to find the misconfiguration in your servers network settings.
    Be aware, if you install Windows Updates that way, you may also receive unsupported upgrades, which may affect the WHS functionality.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Hello Mr. Engelke,
    I was unaware that I could log into my MediaSmart Server ex487 via remote desktop.  I was able to do windows updates and it failed to download and install some of them but others were downloaded and updated successfully.  Windows Home Server 2.5 update is available thru my windows updates but fails to download and install for some reason I have currently hp server 2.1.7, is there a newer one that I can update to or should I just leave it like this?  Thank you so much for the awesome advise. 
    Greetings from USA.
    Joe
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Hi Joe,
    sounds for me, that you are talking about HP specific updates, but not about WHS updates from Microsoft.
    Maybe a better place to discuss this issue is either http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ or the HP support.
    Eventually it helps also to uninstall the currently installed version of the HP WHS software, but since I do not have that specific device, my hints for this are only based on speculation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:45 PM