none
Upgraded computer shortly after buying a WGA - I have to buy another one? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I did the following:

1) I had a non-genuine copy of Windows installed on my computer
    2) I bought the WGA kit, received an email with a product key and instructions how to convert my version of Windows into a genuine one.
    3) I downloaded the Windows Product Key Update Tool and I converted Windows XP to a genuine version using the new product key
    4) Some time later, I made a major upgrade to my computer (I changed the motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card)
    5) I installed Windows XP using the non-genuine version (I had not yet received the new CD from Microsoft)
    6) I tried to convert Windows to a genuine version by running the Product Key Update Tool. However, after entering the new Product Key, I got the error message 'The new product key you are using to update has been previously used or is already in use'.
    7) I contacted Microsoft customer service Korea (that's where I live) and told them about the problem. They sent me a new product key, but when trying to use this key with the key update tool, it tells me that the key does not match with my system ?!!!???!!
    It seems MS CS Korea is at their wits end, because they tell me to contact MS Singapore or MS USA.

Can you offer any help? Do I have to reinstall XP with the holographic CD I received eventually? Or do I need to buy another key??

Thanks in advance!

Christian Spyr
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 11:41 AM

Answers

•  Christian Spyr wrote:

Hello

I did the following:

2) I bought the WGA kit, received an email with a product key and instructions how to convert my version of Windows into a genuine one.
    3) I downloaded the Windows Product Key Update Tool and I converted Windows XP to a genuine version using the new product key
    4) Some time later, I made a major upgrade to my computer (I changed the motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card)
    5) I installed Windows XP using the non-genuine version (I had not yet received the new CD from Microsoft)
    6) I tried to convert Windows to a genuine version by running the Product Key Update Tool. However, after entering the new Product Key, I got the error message 'The new product key you are using to update has been previously used or is already in use'.
    7) I contacted Microsoft customer service Korea (that's where I live) and told them about the problem. They sent me a new product key, but when trying to use this key with the key update tool, it tells me that the key does not match with my system ?!!!???!!
    It seems MS CS Korea is at their wits end, because they tell me to contact MS Singapore or MS USA.

Can you offer any help? Do I have to reinstall XP with the holographic CD I received eventually? Or do I need to buy another key??

Thanks in advance!

Christian Spyr

You need to use the CD that we send as replacement to reinstall. The update tool can only be used once for new WGA Kit Product Keys (as its only designed to temporarily convert non-genuine PC's until the new CD arrives - as we recommend a clean installation).

-phil

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 1:33 AM

All replies

• Christian Spyr,

It sounds like MS Korea sent you a Product Key that was not for the type of XP that is installed.  The Product Keys are matched to the edition of XP they are intended for, so for example, you would not be able to activate the more expensive XP Pro with a cheaper XP Home Product Key.

IMO just wait for the CD to arrive.  At that time it would be preferable to do a clean installation with the genuine CD, but if that is not possible a repair reinstallation will do it.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Christian Spyr,

It sounds like MS Korea sent you a Product Key that was not for the type of XP that is installed.  The Product Keys are matched to the edition of XP they are intended for, so for example, you would not be able to activate the more expensive XP Pro with a cheaper XP Home Product Key.

IMO just wait for the CD to arrive.  At that time it would be preferable to do a clean installation with the genuine CD, but if that is not possible a repair reinstallation will do it.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  Christian Spyr wrote:

Hello

I did the following:

Thanks in advance!

Christian Spyr

You need to use the CD that we send as replacement to reinstall. The update tool can only be used once for new WGA Kit Product Keys (as its only designed to temporarily convert non-genuine PC's until the new CD arrives - as we recommend a clean installation).

-phil

• Addendum:

Why are you using the non-genuine copy to reinstall?

-phil

• Phil,

First let me thank you for the fast reply, excellent work!

I used the non-genuine version after I upgraded my computer, because at that time, the genuine CD had not arrived yet. I was eager to get going with my new machine and did not fully understand the whole process (better put, did not invest the time to gather the necessary information).

My (incorrect) thinking was that I could convert the non-genuine version again with the tool, not knowing it's a one shot thing (maybe MS could state that as a clear warning when people are buying the WGA kit?)

All is clear now, it seems I have no choice but to reinstall my beautifully set up system...oh well, seems there's a price to be paid for impatience...

Regards

Christian

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 2:42 AM