Is this the way to fix my WGA woes? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased an HP notebook in May, 2005 from Fry's Electronics with XP Home edition on it.  Needed XP Pro, so I moved the Home edition to an old computer at the house and purchased a full edition of XP Pro in Sep, 2005 from The Software Guy (no longer to be found on the Internet).  I installed the XP Pro to the notebook and wondered why he sent me a Volume License Key, but thought nothing more about it.  I was able to activate and validated NUMEROUS times before the latest update from WGA finally told me I was illegal.

I thought I purchased a full version.  Still, I think from all my research that the VLK only wants to validate as an "upgrade" to my original XP Home product key.  Why it took so many times before MS invalidated me, I'll never know, but that is not my problem, obviously. 

I am a programmer and would not want someone stealing my software either, so my intent is to get legal.  So, I think that if I remove the XP Home edition from the old computer and reinstall it on the HP notebook, then I can install the XP Pro using the VLK as an upgrade to it, right? 

I also purchased Visio Pro and Project Standard from this guy (I'm out a lotta bucks)...lo and behold, these are now invalid also after all this time.  The CDs say "Not for retail or OEM distribution".  Again, if it's the VLK that is the issue, then I think that these are the only two that I need to purchase a license for. 

Please help.  Can anyone verify all this for me?

Thanks!

MaryMary

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:21 PM

Answers

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Thanks, Carey, for the prompt reply.  I don't know what the kit is or includes, but after reading through other people's issues on this forum, I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix something that could be fixed very easily.  I see that some have spent much time and effort going through the process of validating...and I already know I won't validate.  At this point, I might be better off to go buy a full version from a reputable reseller...this way, I will always have a CD handy if I need to reinstall...I hear I could get a false-positive from WGA.

I am a business, but not a corp...so I don't know why The Software Guy sold me a VLK without my specifically asking for one; but we all get to live and learn.

Thanks again!

MM

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Hi Mary!

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having at a deeper level.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

We can take a look at the current product key installed and recommend further steps (whether its returning to the reseller or speaking with our Corporate Licensing department for investigation of your reseller).

-phil

Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:45 PM

All replies

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Thanks, Carey, for the prompt reply.  I don't know what the kit is or includes, but after reading through other people's issues on this forum, I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix something that could be fixed very easily.  I see that some have spent much time and effort going through the process of validating...and I already know I won't validate.  At this point, I might be better off to go buy a full version from a reputable reseller...this way, I will always have a CD handy if I need to reinstall...I hear I could get a false-positive from WGA.

I am a business, but not a corp...so I don't know why The Software Guy sold me a VLK without my specifically asking for one; but we all get to live and learn.

Thanks again!

MM

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Hi Mary!

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having at a deeper level.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

We can take a look at the current product key installed and recommend further steps (whether its returning to the reseller or speaking with our Corporate Licensing department for investigation of your reseller).

-phil

Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:45 PM