CRM 3.0 Data to 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• When I installed CRM 4.0, I made a mistake in my web site naming.  In CRM, the site was company_name.  In CRM 4.0, it's companyname.  Is there any way to import the CRM 3.0 database into the 4.0 database?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Friday, December 19, 2008 8:43 PM

All replies

• I can't quite understand what your saying, you named your CRM 4 org incorrectly?

You can upgrade your CRM 4 to CRM 4 and change your org name:

Have a look here: http://blogs.technet.com/crmbipl/default.aspx

Saturday, December 20, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Sorry I wasn't clear.  When I installed CRM 4.0, I inadvertently named the organization organizationname.  What I should have done was named it organization_name to agree with my CRM3.0 install.  As a result, the conversion of data from 3.0 to 4.0 never happened and I have a clean install of 4.0 with a new organization name.  Is there any way, short of uninstalling CRM 4.0 and reinstalling again, to simply import the data that's in the CRM 3.0 database into the 4.0 database?   It doesn't really matter to me what the name of the organization is as the CRM 3.0 install was for test purposes only but it does have good data in it which I would like to bring over to 4.0 and then go live.  I'd prefer to not have to rekey the information.  I've not been able to get the Data Migration tool to run to do this but it appears it doesn't migrate the 3.0 data to 4.0, anyway, if I understand things correctly.  Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:21 PM
  • From memory you select an option when upgrading; it shouldn't depend on getting the name right. Anyhow, the short answer is there is no simple way to get v3.0 databases into a v4.0 system short of upgrading the v3.0 database by upgrading the CRM server from 3.0 to 4.0.

Your options are uninstalling v4.0, reinstalling v3.0 and upgrading again or extracting the data from the v3.0 database filtered views and using the import tools of v4.0 to get the data in. The second option is not perfect but you'll get 80-90% of the information in.

Leon Tribe
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:00 PM
  • It doesn't matter what you name your organization.  The only supported way to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 is to install 4.0 over 3.0 choosing to upgrade in place.  You cannot install 4.0 first and then import your data.

And make sure that you back up your 3.0 database and metabase first--there is a lot of potential for things to be not perfect and the upgrade fail and you have to restore and try again--such as custom indexes, etc.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Hi Guys

I have had a similar situation recently, where i had to migrate data to version 4 hosted from a version 3 server that I could not upgrade to 4.0 due to it not being owned by ourselves.

It was a painful process and I was scratching my head fo a few days to get the data out, however what i eventually did was do an export to excel straight from the SQL database for each entity that contained data, luckily it was only accounts and contacts, but the head ache came with the notes, emails and activities as they had to be attached and linked in.

What I had to do was run queries to export the notes, activities and emails seperately, linking them back to the relevant contactID name.

Once all of the data was in Excel the DMM was used to upload the data.  With this stage i had to make sure that all of the date stamps were in teh correct format as well as using the database codes for things like status etc..

If you can get away with not having the date on your notes etc then the job will be a lot simpler, but I would imagine you will need that info just as I did.

It took me just over a day once i had given up trying to find a way to migrate the data, and just exporting into excel.

Alternatively you could use a tool like scribe but i beleiev the costs are quite high for a one off job!

hope that helps

Allan

http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com/

Monday, December 22, 2008 2:40 PM