none
Manually Set Blog Theme / Template

Question

• How can I manually set the styles for my blog posts?  WLW does not seem to be able to pull this information from my site (based on SharePoint CKS:EBE), but I am more than happy to just edit the default html and css files.

I found this article, which is for XP, not Vista:  http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-manually-edit-blog-styles-for-windows-live-writer/

However, I believe the files should be here in Vista:  %AppData%\roaming\windows live writer\blogtemplates\

I see folders for Dictionaries, Keywords, and LinkGlossary, but not BlogTemplates.  I added a BlogTemplates folder and copied in a default.html and defaultstyle.css, but this does not seem to make a difference in WLW.

If this is possible, can someone please tell me what I need to do?  Am i close? 

Thanks in advance!

Jerry
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:21 PM

All replies

• I can't help in this arena, but the link on the manual editing of the default template was a good find.
    I appreciate it...
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:18 PM
  • You're close. The easiest way to do this would be to edit the default template (note that this is the default for all blogs, so if you add another it would use this template as well). You can find default.htm and defaultstyle.css in C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\template. Just edit those. Inside default.htm, the {0} will be replaced with the path to defaultstyle.css, the {1} will be the title field of the post and {2} will be the body of the post.

If you'd like to take the more advanced/difficult way to do this, let me know and I'll write up the instructions.
    Windows Live Writer Developer
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:46 AM
  • I created a page with some options on Windows Live Writer template edit options and it also shows some points to what WILLDUFF is speaking.

here:
    http://www.lehsys.com/2010/02/windows-live-writer-creating-a-custom-template/

Hope this helps.

Later,
    Larry
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:00 PM
  • @Larry -- very good summary page.  I also did not have success with Theme Fixer.... a permissions issue creating the files / folders I believe, which seems to be the root issue to this whole problem.  Also, since the LONGCRYPTICNUMBERYOUCANTREFERENCE folder doesn't exist, I am forced to edit the Defaut template.

@Will -- this is actually the path I have taken; however, it does limit you to a single style for all blogs (not currently an issue for me).  It also requires additional setup for each blog user and admin rights to muck with files within the Program Files.  If you could write up the "more advanced/difficult way to do this" it would be greatly appreciated!

One additional question: how are images referenced locally when using the Default Template approach?  This is NOT critical, but would be a nice to know...

Many thanks!!

P.S. My users absolutely love working with Live Writer (intstead of MS Word or the SharePoint RTE)... it would be great to have themes [really] working in the next release.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Your welcome and I'm glad it helped you..

Note: the LONGCRYPTICNUMBERYOUCANTREFERENCE folder doesn't get created until you post a test article for Windows Live Writer. Windows Live Writer then creates a whole slew of registry entries and folders with a bunch of images and HTM/CSS garbage to reference; it's fun to look through.

I've been trying to fake out Windows Live Writer for a while and can't... so if you can't get Windows Live Writer to create a test post and detect your theme, you'll never have the LONGCRYPTICNUMBERYOUCANTREFERENCE folder.

Just trying to help...

Thanks,
    L. Henry Jr.
    http://www.lehsys.com
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:38 PM
  • I'll try to write up a more advanced way of doing this.

As for your question, I'm not sure I understand it. The default template approach won't treat images that are inserted into the blog post any differently than normal. Inline images are saved under the %temp%\WindowsLiveWriter-{RANDOM}\supfiles{RANDOM} folder where {RANDOM} is short series of random numbers and letters. Images are automatically uploaded to your blog when you hit Publish, so you shouldn't have to touch them.
    Windows Live Writer Developer
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:33 PM
  • re: images -- I was referring to images in the blog style, not part of the content.  For example, a header, footer, or border -- while it would be cool to replicate exactly what the pos would look like on the site, this is not at all necessary.

re: the "more advanced way"...  any progress?

Thanks again! 

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:03 PM