Hard Drive use confusion RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am confused by size of hard drives needed for WHS.  I have read in the Getting Started pdf from Microsoft that they recommend at least 2, 300 GB drives.  I have also read on this site of always needing to save files to the same partition as the OS.  At least the majority of the time I am use to having at least two partitions with the smaller partition for the OS and programs and the larger one for nothing but data.  I am looking to use my WHS for recording tv from my Vista MCE and keeping all photos, music, etc on the WHS so it can easily be accessed anytime from any computer in the home or at times from off site.  I am also looking to have some type of RAID format from the motherboard so I at least have a second hard drive that is a mirror of the first in case one drive goes bad. 

WHS seems to operate differently than what I am use to.  Are there any books available yet that mention this type of information and give examples of what would commonly be needed.  On my media center pc I have one hard drive for the OS and programs and then two others mirrored that hold nothing but data.  Am I correct from what I read that for WHS I should get at least one large drive because it should hold both the OS and data.  Can this physical drive also be mirrored to another physical hard drive.  I have looked into getting at least one 500GB drive.  In the future can I add another drive and save data to it.

I have been experimenting with an old P4 computer with two 60GB hard drives and the WHS beta.  I was surprised when it seemed to let me copy lots of DVD's which I thought it did not have room for and also seemed to mirror those.  Where can I find information about how WHS manages hard drives.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to have the biggest drive for the system WHS (OS then the second partition for data), then you add drive/s to the WHS pool, in this case, WHS will protect your data by duplications the data across the drives in the pool.

Here in this topic agood issue (it was regarding the raid), but it could help see the issue, also some link for whs team explaintion matters.

Here

Also the basic requirements should help understanding the issue.

So, no need to mirror issue with WHS.

My best
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:05 PM
  • First place to look is these forums, it's been discussed a lot, there are no books out YET that I know of.

You are correct WHS works differently to the way most (all?) of us are used to. It takes the first HD and creates a 20Gig partition for the OS, the rest becomes part of the 'storage pool' As do any other hard drives you add. When you add data it is allocated to a drive within the pool. If the folder is configered to be mirrored then it is copied to another drive as well. This happens behind the scenes, you don't know which data is on which physical drive. One of the biggest advantages of this is you can just keep adding drives (either internal or USB) and WHS adds them to the pool. With RAID you'd need to add pairs of drives of the same size.

One "gottcha" is that you want to make the first HD as big as possible as data is, infact, staged on that drive before it is 'migrated' to other drives by a background process. So to copy large files you want as much space as possible.

Hope this helps, ask for more info on bits that need clarification.

Gordon

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:08 PM
  •  Phil Slates wrote:

I have been experimenting with an old P4 computer with two 60GB hard drives and the WHS beta.  I was surprised when it seemed to let me copy lots of DVD's which I thought it did not have room for and also seemed to mirror those.  Where can I find information about how WHS manages hard drives.

How did you manage to install  WHS on 2 x 60 GB?  I thought the min req. = 80 GB - doesn't it have to be on one drive?

Mel P

Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:31 PM
  •  GordonTGopher wrote:

First place to look is these forums, it's been discussed a lot, there are no books out YET that I know of.

Gordon

Windows Home Server For Dummies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0470185929?ie=UTF8&tag=mswihose-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0470185929

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Yeah there are a few out in the next month or so, but none that you can buy today, the one you linked to is on pre-order.

Gordon

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:13 PM
  •  

Please mark the posts that helped you as answered.  Thanks!
    Friday, August 31, 2007 10:35 PM