Image as an entity field RRS feed

• Question

• HI can anybody help me. I want to use an image as an entity field on form. (to display picture with record on form)
    Any possible solution or workarounds.
    One solution may be to utilize some Web service (wcf/asmx) via silverlight web resource and save/get images through this service .
    Now image will be saved with ID of that entity record on form so that each record have an associated picture to display.

Please help and suggests.
    Regards,
    Friday, August 5, 2011 7:32 AM

Answers

• Thanks Arvind:)

I like this because its much simpler and efficient.

But please tell me how can I access some folder (local to crm) from crm 2011.
    I am using crm 2011.  Where I create that folder, inside crm web directory or

You can use the ISV folder under the CRM Web Directory to store your images. But really, storing them on disk is not an optimal solution. What would you do if you need to redeploy your installation on a different server? Or your customer decides to use CRM Online instead?  The solution Jan AS linked to is much more elegant and consistent with best pratices.

If you dont want to store the image as an attachment it might be simpler just to store it as base 64 in an ntext field on the entity, and have the silverlight control convert it to an image directly

• Marked as answer by adahmed Friday, August 5, 2011 10:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by adahmed Friday, August 5, 2011 10:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:29 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Friday, August 5, 2011 7:38 AM

All replies

• Friday, August 5, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Following is the normal solution which should work with 4.0/2011

Store the images on soem web folder with guid as the filename.

Develop a web page to load images from the folder based on the query parameter. You'll get the guid from the url of your page. Load the corresponding image.

Put an iFrame on the entity form which points to your above custom developed web page and make sure that you have checked the option to pass parameters.

- Arvind
    Friday, August 5, 2011 7:40 AM

elsewhere. Also when i attach thsi web paeg as web resource on form then how
    crm will get access to that folder in order to get images. ???

Hope you got it? Where to create folder and how crm access that folder. I think crm has
    no access to that folder, it only access its resources repository inside crm dynamics web folder.

Regards
    Adnan Samuel
    Power Objects.

Friday, August 5, 2011 8:14 AM

You can use the ISV folder under the CRM Web Directory to store your images. But really, storing them on disk is not an optimal solution. What would you do if you need to redeploy your installation on a different server? Or your customer decides to use CRM Online instead?  The solution Jan AS linked to is much more elegant and consistent with best pratices.

If you dont want to store the image as an attachment it might be simpler just to store it as base 64 in an ntext field on the entity, and have the silverlight control convert it to an image directly

• Marked as answer by adahmed Friday, August 5, 2011 10:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by adahmed Friday, August 5, 2011 10:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:29 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 9:12 AM