Corrupted Money File RRS feed

• Question

• When attempted to open a file I get an error message saying that 'money has detected that you did not close the file *name* before exiting. Money now needs to verify the information in your file" on clicking yes I get the following message

" *name* is corrupted or is not a money date file. Money has tried to repair this file but failed. You will need to open your most recent backup file to access your data" on clicking OK I get an option to restore a backup file. When I choose the relevant file and click restore I get the message "Money has detected that you did not close the file mbf5CA.tmp before exiting and Money needs to verify the information" on clicking yes I get the same error message as I did when opening the original file.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:36 AM

All replies

• In my experience this is an unrecoverable error if you only have one generation of your Money backup file. Do you have any previous generations of the backup file that you can try?

Jonathan.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Jonathan

Many thanks for your reply. I ended up going to my recycle bin and finding a backup from July. It means replacing three months of data but better that than losing the data altogether. Thanks again. 

Regards JP

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Many thanks for your reply. I ended up going to my recycle bin and finding a backup from July. It means replacing three months of data but better that than losing the data altogether. Thanks again. 

It is good that you are going again. I'll bet this scare motivated you to review your backup policies. So this failure was not all bad.

I like to have my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive. That should still be OK if my hard drive crashes.  Money Plus allows me to have multiple vintages of the backups with unique filenames that incorporate the time and date. This is even available by default, although the default of 4 each can be increased.  I presume your file is not from North America, so Money Plus would not be an option. For earlier versions, there is a quirk that keeps the scheduled backup from going to a USB flash drive that has more than 2 GB of free space. You can work around that by using a small flash drive or by filling the drive to reduce free space.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:04 PM
  • I don't use it myself but maybe the File History feature of Windows 10 would be one way of retaining multiple versions of your Money backup file or indeed the Money file itself.

Jonathan.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:27 PM
  • I don't use it myself but maybe the File History feature of Windows 10 would be one way of retaining multiple versions of your Money backup file or indeed the Money file itself.

Jonathan.

Good point. Maybe somebody could put together a HowTo that was oriented to the Microsoft Money 2005 user.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:53 PM